Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
00 E430, had issues with electrical systems, so I took off the back seat to look at the vacuum pump. turns out the whole battery compartment is filled with water. I took off the two rubber plugs to drain. the water seems to be coming from the back seat back rest area. not sure if this is common with the w210. any suggestions on what to do about this . thanks.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yes it does have a sunroof. Please tell me what's wrong. much appreciated ! can't wait for figure this one out.
I checked the trunk also, and the right side compartment is all soaking wet as well. So apparently wherever the leak is coming from is going both to the trunk and the battery area under the rear seat. Both on the right side rear of the car.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lolz, I tell ya the water level was 3/4 upto the battery level. that's ridiculous ! glad I caught it before the battery was shorted. This is one terrible design strategy by mercedes !

·
Registered
1997 E320, 1997 S320
2,946 Posts
wow, that's a lot of water. you should remove the battery from the car, and place a little mill in there to generate energy. :D
hopefully you can figure it all out pretty soon.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
benz3000 said:
lolz, I tell ya the water level was 3/4 upto the battery level. that's ridiculous ! glad I caught it before the battery was shorted. This is one terrible design strategy by mercedes !
BS

This is poor maintenance by current and prior owner.

They don't all do that.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where did maintenance come in from here ? what kind of maintenance would prevent that ? !

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
jimmysnow needs to let us in on the secret to the water: perhaps the sunroof is inadvertantly draining into this area?

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,844 Posts
Maybe somebody spilled something there?
In my 97 sedan whole battery compartment is sticky with some heavy gue.
It had to be something thicker, than coffee. Clam Chowder?
From what I know sunroof has drains that go under the floor. Not that I ever tested ;)
Good luck on solving the problem. I would dry the compartment and keep an eye on it without too much worry.
It is not Katrina car? ;)

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kajtek1 said:
Maybe somebody spilled something there?
In my 97 sedan whole battery compartment is sticky with some heavy gue.
It had to be something thicker, than coffee. Clam Chowder?
From what I know sunroof has drains that go under the floor. Not that I ever tested ;)
Good luck on solving the problem. I would dry the compartment and keep an eye on it without too much worry.
It is not Katrina car? ;)
actually reading other posts on this forum, this seems to be a common problem on the w140 as well. many have found the PSE pump soaked in water. So I'll be keeping an eye. No it's been NJ car since day one :)

·
Registered
E 55 T AMG 1998
38 Posts
I own a w210 E320 4matic with a sunroof, I have not owned it for a full year that I noticed that dam battery compartment is full of water 2 to 3 inches high and also under the floor in front of the battery compartment and also on the other side, this stuff is soaking because under the rug is some big Sponge glued to it.
So I removed the front seats and took the massive rug/sponge and let it dry and search for possible leak holes but I found nothing so I put it back in, 3-4 weeks later it was some water in the battery compartment.
Now I was getting angry and start to search everywhere so I pulled down the sealing in right back door at the top and looked at the top it was full of water pearls.
Now I removed the top (not a easy job) and saw the bolts that hold the sunroof in it place was all rusty and leaping down maybe two or three millimetres so I put a 6mm rust free bolts with proper washer under the bolts ok I tested this but it still leaked but not as much as before.
I was getting a big headache so I took the sunroof down and smeared so called putty (window sealer) that will not dry up fully at the rim of the sunroof sleeve. After this the leak stopped.
For final I think the water got down where the seatbelt is located in the central supports for the roof.
If you like I could do a DIY for you but it will take time just this text took me a 30-45 minutes.

Sorry for bad spelling and grammar.

Jimmy snow from Iceland

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much for the time and effort you put in to reply Jimmy. much appreciated.
Did you see any water in the trunk right on the right side of the car ? because I had a lot of water in the trunk on the same side as where the battery is located.
What I'm trying to figure out now is, that in your car the water leaked from the sunroof seals and travelled to the battery area ?

·
Registered
E 55 T AMG 1998
38 Posts
yep and remove the roof and put some better bolts and maybe silicon glue or something that seal the frame that that hold the sunroof in place without permanently stick to the roof of the car.

Here is a pic of the sunroof frame

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.