Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995 C220
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...there have been many threads started on this board regarding people who have discovered water on the passenger side of the floor...and it has been discussed many times that it is probably the drains in the front of the car that are causing it...but there has been very little discussion as to how to fix the problem...

I am here to tell you how to do it and end this problem for good...I did it today on a 96 C220 and I wish I took photos or did a Youtube video on how to do it...but I was in the zone and looking to get it done and now that it is done I wish I had recorded the process some how. But at the end of the day my explanation should get you through it...

The first thing you need to do is put your hood up all the way...this is done by releasing the clips on the hood springs to get it to go straight up...

Remove the leaf guards (black plastic pieces at base of windshield with holes in them) by pushing on the three tabs and pulling them up towards the top of the windshield. They come off easy. There are two...one on the driver's side one on the passenger side. Once they are out of the way you will locate a nut of sorts on the end towards the door on both sides. Remove those nuts...then start on the screws...there are four visible right under the windshield. There are also two more that are not as visible that are located in the windshield wiper area (just below the wiper). Remove all these screws. Then look for the tabs that are on the front of this plastic piece. There are four or five and the closer you get to the center the more of a pain in the a** they become. Undo the clips and lift the entire plastic piece from the lower half. Be careful not to break the clips...but do not lose faith that you can get the clips to open...again they are a pain in the a**, but they do come off...

Once you have the "bowl" area exposed you will see two drain holes...one on the passenger side on the end at the bottom facing the front of the vehicle...this one can be cleared fairly easily by using your finger, stick, or coat hanger...the second drain is directly under the windshield wiper.
This one is a ball buster to clean out...it took me nearly an hour to clear it out and get it to flow freely...using a long screwdriver and a coat hanger, I was able to finally break the dirt and debris free inside and get water to drain freely. If you did not know this drain was here you would have NO idea that a drain even existed here...most people only mention the one on the passenger side...they both need to be cleared or the water will build up and the one on the passenger side cannot keep up with the buildup alone...

Once they are clear you simply reverse the process to put it all back together...

This is a really easy fix that will prevent water from flowing into the passenger compartment and continuously burning out your blower motor regulators...I have gone through six in six years...and it is all because I did not know that I needed to clean out these drains...again people on here talk about it...but there has never been a real discussion about how to get in there and get these things clean...

Get in there...get your hands dirty and clean out these drains...it will add years to your life reducing your stress you spend worrying about whether or not your a/c is going to work on the hottest day of the year.

The toughest part of the entire job is the clips on the front of the plastic cowling...do not get frustrated and work patiently to get them to open. You will be paid dividends in the end for your patience...

Good luck and if you have any questions please let me know...I will try to explain any part of the process I can if it is not clear in this explanation.

·
Registered
1995 C220
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are Welcome

You are welcome...this has been such a huge problem for so many people...I do not understand why it is not discussed more...I think most people just put up with the water on the floor like I did for so long...it is unnecessary...

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes S550 W221
68 Posts
why not just remove all these drain tubes and let the water freely flow beneath the car with nothing stopping it. Im not understanding how the water is getting inside the car just because the drain tubes mercedes put on these cars are getting leaves in them. The rain gutters on my house had the same problem getting clogged so I just removed them all together. Now, no more clogged rain gutters.

·
Registered
1995 C220
2,800 Posts
why not just remove all these drain tubes and let the water freely flow beneath the car with nothing stopping it. Im not understanding how the water is getting inside the car just because the drain tubes mercedes put on these cars are getting leaves in them. The rain gutters on my house had the same problem getting clogged so I just removed them all together. Now, no more clogged rain gutters.
Cars are designed a bit different than a house. Every car has drainage in place to direct the water off of the windshield and away from the cowling the best they can. Whatever drains they use, sometimes they get plugged, and the water ends up rising and going in a spot it was never intended to go. Most things on our cars are sealed in the cowling area, but some of the seals are not designed to hold back standing water, like in the case of a rubber grommet or rubber boot. Over time, these will let water passed them if not directed away. Same thing with a sunroof drain. No one would like a sunroof drain; ideally it is best not to have a sunroof that leaks. But thank god the manufacturers assume that one day the sunroof will leak, and designed a drainage system to collect the water that gets by them, or there would be a lot of moldy smelling cars out there.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Do the same then, to whatever you're driving.
Please report back after a heavy rain/snow storm and let us know if you get the same results you achieved with your house. ;)

Please update your user cp info.
click on your icon----> click on Account Settings---->
goto Account Details----> add vehicle details---->
add your make model YEAR ----> click save

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes S550 W221
68 Posts
Please report back after a heavy rain/snow storm and let us know if you get the same results you achieved with your house. ;)

I'll be keeping them cleaned out for now until after the pandemic ends. At that time, I will consult with mercedes technicians on the purpose and importance of the drains and whether or not any modification can be achieved to help prevent them from getting clogged up in the first place.

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes S550 W221
68 Posts

Heres my RIDE

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I'll be keeping them cleaned out for now until after the pandemic ends. At that time, I will consult with mercedes technicians on the purpose and importance of the drains and whether or not any modification can be achieved to help prevent them from getting clogged up in the first place.
Nice Ride.

It looks like you have a sunroof. If so, they have drain holes at the front corners.
Like all MBs, these are always a source of water filtration into the cabin via a hose that runs along the A-pillar and down along the side along the dashboard end and typically, elbowed out thru a grommet hole into the wheel well (behind the front quarter panel, both sides). These hoses can clog up, and/or separate from it's connection point (at the sunroof corner (due to age contraction, etc) or at the elbow in the footwell (usually above the fuse panel that some MBs typically have on the passenger side.
There are plenty of write -ups/ threads across the forum on this "water in footwell" issue.

As for a solution for this issue?
You bet!
Solution: Seal up (watertight) your sunroof and never use it. That way no water drains down and thru these 2 points of water entry.

The other possible water filtration location up front?
Thru the engine compartment firewall side. - the cowl area where the wiper motor is located. Leaves and debris clog up the drain hole on both sides and they also drain out thru the backside of the wheel well.
Water accumulates and overflows back into the cabin via the firewall.
Do a search to read up on all this fun stuff while you are on lockdown. :)

Fun stuff.

EDIT:
btw, You're in the wrong forum.
This is the w202.
You own a w221-----------------> W221 S-Class

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes S550 W221
68 Posts
Nice Ride.

It looks like you have a sunroof. If so, they have drain holes at the front corners.
Like all MBs, these are always a source of water filtration into the cabin via a hose that runs along the A-pillar and down along the side along the dashboard end and typically, elbowed out thru a grommet hole into the wheel well (behind the front quarter panel, both sides). These hoses can clog up, and/or separate from it's connection point (at the sunroof corner (due to age contraction, etc) or at the elbow in the footwell (usually above the fuse panel that some MBs typically have on the passenger side.
There are plenty of write -ups/ threads across the forum on this "water in footwell" issue.

You bet!
Solution: Seal up (watertight) your sunroof and never use it. That way no water drains down and thru these 2 points of water entry.

Thru the engine compartment firewall side. - the cowl area where the wiper motor is located. Leaves and debris clog up the drain hole on both sides and they also drain out thru the backside of the wheel well.

Fun stuff.
Thanks, I was just yesterday looking for the sunroof drain holes because we are getting lots of rain over next few days. I could not see any drain holes as there's a springing trim piece thing that goes across the front of the sunroof when opened. Not sure how the dealership accesses these drains, will need to ask them when I get a chance so I can stay on top of it. As for the car, I've driven bentleys and rolls royces and the s550 mercedes has everyone beat for quality and comfort in my opinion. Not surprised why they sell above $100,000 as they're worth every cent.

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes S550 W221
68 Posts
Nice Ride.

You bet!

Fun stuff.

EDIT:
btw, You're in the wrong forum.
This is the w202.
You own a w221-----------------> W221 S-Class
Are there openings in the firewall for water to go in? That doesn't make any sense why they would make holes there.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Thanks, I was just yesterday looking for the sunroof drain holes because we are getting lots of rain over next few days. I could not see any drain holes as there's a springing trim piece thing that goes across the front of the sunroof when opened. Not sure how the dealership accesses these drains, will need to ask them when I get a chance so I can stay on top of it. As for the car, I've driven bentleys and rolls royces and the s550 mercedes has everyone beat for quality and comfort in my opinion. Not surprised why they sell above $100,000 as they're worth every cent.
Do a google search on the forum "sunroof drain site:benzworld.org" and start reading.

Pvc hose into sunroof drainhole.jpeg
This is on a W163 - will be similar to other models. Note: the black pvc hose that goes into the DS sunroof drain hole (there will be one on the PS too) You need to look harder. You can borrow my progressives if you need to find it.

Are there openings in the firewall for water to go in? That doesn't make any sense why they would make holes there.
How do you think they get the wiring harnesses, vacuum lines, etc thru and into the cabin?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Mods,
Please move this to the w221 forum.

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes S550 W221
68 Posts
Do a google search on the forum "sunroof drain site:benzworld.org" and start reading.

View attachment 2626962
This is on a W163 - will be similar to other models. Note: the black pvc hose that goes into the DS sunroof drain hole (there will be one on the PS too) You need to look harder. You can borrow my progressives if you need to find it.

How do you think they get the wiring harnesses, vacuum lines, etc thru and into the cabin?
Heres what it looks like on my 2013 s550. Guess you have to remove this piece to find drains.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I have this in our cloud - for a w215 - should be applicable for w221s
It looks to be quite a task to get access to your drain holes. Same location as others, it seems.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes S550 W221
68 Posts

I looked behind the front fender wells today and saw the end of the cowl drain tubes. I was thinking of extending them with clear water hose and a hose clamp all the way to the bottom of the car so it just spills below the vehicle. Currently they end spilling into a pocket on the backside of the fenders, its this pocket that has a small hole where the water leaks down the face of the fender behind front tires. That small hole doesn't stand a chance of staying clear. That pocket had leaves and debris clogging it up because its literally like a bowl at the end of the drain tube which catches everything that falls into the drain line up by the windshield. Mercedes did run two drain lines beneath the car, one from the driverside hood vent, and the other from the AC intake reed valve. But tucked the drains from left and right side of windshield in those little pockets on rear of fender well which was stupid.

See here:

I plan to connect an extension tube to the end of the drain tube here on both driver and passenger side so it drains beneath the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts