Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 450SL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 450sl and all of a sudden it started leaking water on the drivers and passenger sides foot area under the dash, the water is cold so I know its not from the radiator and must be from washing it. Where do I start to locate this problem?

·
Registered
1986 500SL
70 Posts
If it's happenning when you're driving and turning corners, it's probably the evaporator drains are blocked. Blow them out from under the car. One on either side of the tranny.

·
Registered
See sig!
47 Posts
I bet you've been running your A/C!

Redux is right. Check the evaporator drain. It channels the condensation from the A/C out (generally) through the firewall. It's usually a little rubber hose or something similar. You should be able to find it coming through the firewall into the engine compartment. Use a small screwdriver or a coat hanger to clear it.

·
Registered
1974 450 SL
55 Posts
My 74 also drips if I wash her and spray lots of water around the fresh air intake screens just forward of the windshield wipers. I have not yet decided it is much of a problem. Maybe if it really rains a lot I will change my mind...
S

·
Registered
74 450SL
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ljmauricio - 5/9/2005 2:40 PM

If it's happenning when you're driving and turning corners, it's probably the evaporator drains are blocked. Blow them out from under the car. One on either side of the tranny.

Thanks for the info, so this is something that I need to have the car lifted so I can get to the drain holes or is it possible to crawl under and get to it easily?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's not the A\C drain holes , the problem is most likely the trays under the fresh air intakes have rotted out over time and are letting the water in above the pedals - we had to repair both boxes on my '85 500sl for the same problem !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts