Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
2003 S500 4Matic
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

I have a 2003 S500. Just find out the water is go under the carpet on driver side, I cleaned both side sunroof drain, and all three drain underneath the hood, after cleaning I checked, I pour water in to the drain and come out at the bottom. But still find some water after the rain. 馃馃檨 Any ideas? Thank you

W220 Moderator
Heater Air Intake Plenum under Hood / Bonnet, blocked Drain, or Sun Roof Drain Pipe become disconnected inside Car at bottom of A Pillars ;)

Registered
2003 S500 4Matic
Discussion Starter #4
Hey everyone

So I had this water leak problem on my 2003 w220. I hope I find the problem, check this youtube video

W220 Moderator
I've only ever seen that on one other W220 :(

Sadly because A Pillar is a very important part of the Cars structure, the only way to do that job properly is to get all the wiring, vac tubes etc out of that area from inside the car, cut out the rusty section and weld it up with decent quality sheet metal, then seriously underseal it all ;)

As you are welding have someone sitting inside the Car watching with a damp cloth and water spray, on "Fire Watch", the Paint and Sealer will catch fire as you are welding ;)

IIRC the one I did took around 2 days to do a decent successful repair ;)

HTH,

W220 Moderator
Ho Hum, there is always a "cheap out" .....................
Might last 6 months until ongoing corrosion loosens the sealer ................

Then of course there is the very likely possibility you would crush yourself / smash your legs / lower body to bits if you should have the misfortune to crash the car hard .................

I should seriously consider not bothering to give good advice on how to do a job properly :(

Registered
Too many to list
Dave don鈥檛 get angry , just presenting other options to fix the water leak . Some people don鈥檛 have the skills to cut out that much metal while retaining structural integrity, or the money to hire a pro. They may actually make it weaker . Plugging the hole with Seam sealer is no more dangerous than the current condition . But cutting out the structure could be more dangerous and bend the car if not done correctly

W220 Moderator
lol not getting angry, just frustrated, I see this across many forums, actually less so here, but fact remains it does frustrate me, I see guys spending hundreds of dollars guessing at which parts to replace, constantly re visiting a repair because they buy cheap parts or won't do it properly ................ I don't know why it frustrates me, shouldn't really, but it does !!
That is my problem lol, no one elses ;) .............

Basically, I see it like this, if OP can't do the Welding job properly, at least I have told him what he needs to ask of a pro who can do that job.

The seam sealer will come adrift in very short order, meanwhile the corrosion continues, eventually writing the Car off, right now it is a relatively straightforward repair, and I outlined the cautions of removing wiring etc and an assistant to keep "doom watch" ;)

You should know me by now, I only recommend "Do it right, do it once" method :)

Registered
2003 S500 4Matic
Discussion Starter #10

Sadly because A Pillar is a very important part of the Cars structure, the only way to do that job properly is to get all the wiring, vac tubes etc out of that area from inside the car, cut out the rusty section and weld it up with decent quality sheet metal, then seriously underseal it all ;)

As you are welding have someone sitting inside the Car watching with a damp cloth and water spray, on "Fire Watch", the Paint and Sealer will catch fire as you are welding ;)

HTH,

Thank you Dave, I gonna try

HTH,

Thank you Dave, I gonna try do my best. :)
The good news is everything working properly on my car. No wire damages from water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts