Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E320
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been finding this puddle of water under my car every night for the past week or so. I've finally traced it down to this small, semi-oval piece of plastic that sits under the hood and directly in front of the dash. There isn't much connected to it, it just seems to go up in to the dash proper.

I'm trying to figure out if this is a coolant leak or not. It appears to just be water, clear and no smell or color to speak of. When I first found the part that's leaking, it was clogged with some leaves and other debris. I cleaned out as much as I could but I think there is more in there and it's really hard to reach.

Anyhow, I'm posting a picture but it was pretty hard to get a good shot. Anyone know what this part is and why it might be leaking water? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
E-Class 300 TD 1998, E-Cllass 290 TDi 1996, 601 DKB 1982(207D)
117 Posts
Gabemage,

My first guess is that the water you discovered is excess water coming from the condensor...this is pretty normal. Is there a hose connnected to, leading to the bottom of the car ? Have you also noticed over time that coolant is disapearing ?

Would also be goood idea if you made a picture with some less details, that shows whereabout this component is located....

Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
1998 E320
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ingmar,

That was my first thought, that it might be water from the condenser, but it's been pretty cold here lately and I haven't been running the A/C so I would think that there wouldn't be any excess water.

No hose running from this part to the bottom of the car, it just runs straight up under the dash.

I'm going to start monitoring my coolant level more carefully tonight and I'll try and get a better picture of the part. Unfortunately it's really hard to get at as it sits directly behind the engine and about midway down the front of the dash.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Unfortunately it's really hard to get at as it sits directly behind the engine and about midway down the front of the dash.
Well this is merely for orientation...could you also indicate what MB it is Wxxx type and year ?

I'll see it tomorrow morning...at my sunny side of the globe then.
Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
1998 E320
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ingmar,

It's a 1998 W210 (E320). Bought some MB coolant and I'm going to fill the reservoir tonight, see how the level is in the morning.

Good idea on the washer fluid level SDL. I'll check that too and re-post.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Coolant should have a slightly sweet odor (that's why dogs sometimes lap it up and become poisoned) so I think you are seeing windshield washer fluid. Also, coolant should have a slick feel if you rub it between your fingers, unlike w/w stuff that is pretty much water and should feel like it.

·
Registered
1998 E320
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went to get my car out of the garage this morning and checked under the car for the usual pool of water and to my surprise there is no water!

So what changed? Four things I can think of:

1: I topped off the coolant with 50% MB antifreeze 50% distilled water. Took about a quart, so it was low.

2: There was no rain here yesterday where it's been raining steadily for weeks.

3: I did not use the heater or the A/C at all yesterday.

4: Checked all the hoses from the windshield wiper fluid reservoir and I'm not seeing any leaks nor signs of leaks. The level of fluid hasn't gone down at all.

So I'm thinking this water is either rainwater that has gotten trapped in a clogged drain and so it's draining slowly or it's related to the heater / AC.

·
Registered
1998 E320
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One more follow up. I found this in the forums.

According to this fellows mechanic "these type of cars are notorious for having leaves and gunk congealing on the vents". I'm thinking this might be my problem right here. I'm going to spend some time this weekend cleaning out these vents and I'll repost.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So I'm thinking this water is either rainwater that has gotten trapped in a clogged drain and so it's draining slowly or it's related to the heater / AC.
I think your assumption is a valid one, drains are usually prone to get clogged, the same is valid for air-intakes. A good clean-up job with some compressed air to remove the collected debree is a good step to take once in a while. I had my drain at the tank inlet clogged, all the water came into the trunk.

Cheers,
Ingmar

·
Registered
1998 E320
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Resolved

So it looks like the mystery part / leak is actually a drain for a vent that sits under the hood and right in front of the windshield. I've posted a picture of it here. The vent comes off easily. Took it off, cleaned it out, and sure enough water goes straight through it down to the drain that I posted a picture of before.

Thanks to everyone who posted with suggestions. It's a huge relieve to not have a coolant leak!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts