Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1994 SL600
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to keep my car ('94 SL600) a few weeks outside with the occasional Seattle rain coming down... :) The hardtop was installed the entire time.

It noticed the windows would get completely fogged (while the car was parked) as the outside temp got colder, indicating there is moisture/water inside the car somewhere.

I have read about possible water leaks into doors, but before I start ripping out the door panels, any other places to check?

I had a leak into trunk but it was fixed with a new 3rd brake light (seal was not sealing enough, letting water drip into the trunk lid).

Any ideas or previous experiences?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Are the windows fogging with girlfriend in or out?
Had the same problem with a juicy girlfriend..... :)

I just hope that this is your problem, if not you may need.

1. A new heater.
2. Plastic vapor in the doors panels.
3. Disconnected heating ducts.
4. Plugged door drains.
5. And like you said leaks....

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
SL 320
55 Posts
Are the catpet(s) in the rear foot wells wet?

I had wet rear carpets once. It was caused by a damaged water drain tube coming from the area near the main lift clinder for the roof. If working corectly any water poured in this area should drain out to an outlet under the car.

To inspect the drain tube (and associated funnels / hoppers ) you'll need to remove the trim section(s) around the rear jump seats.

A blockage in the water hopper or a broken or dislodged pipe could cause water in rear foot wells.

When I had a leak moisture eventually got into the alarm/immobilizer module at the front of the cabin and caused more problems.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
Hi check the rubbers at the top of the windscreen where it meet the hardtop,they compress after time.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
You can also check the section where the hardtop meets the windshield line - and the seals where the side windows meet the hardtop.

Just spray some water and see if it gets in.

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
You can also check the section where the hardtop meets the windshield line - and the seals where the side windows meet the hardtop.

Just spray some water and see if it gets in.
+1

My windows fogged up all the time and the water was in the top, literally in the top. All good now after my pano appearance kit :D

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
I had to keep my car ('94 SL600) a few weeks outside with the occasional Seattle rain coming down... :) The hardtop was installed the entire time.

It noticed the windows would get completely fogged (while the car was parked) as the outside temp got colder, indicating there is moisture/water inside the car somewhere.

I have read about possible water leaks into doors, but before I start ripping out the door panels, any other places to check?

I had a leak into trunk but it was fixed with a new 3rd brake light (seal was not sealing enough, letting water drip into the trunk lid).

Any ideas or previous experiences?
Water vapor (always present) in the air inside the car will condense when the outside temp. drops and the car gets cooler. Like if you closed up your car on a day with high relative hummidity, there would have to be fog on the windows on a cooler day. Outside rain on the windows would cool them off more and worsen the fog.
Probably a better answer: If our cars aren't air-tight humid air will get in and condense if the outside air cools before it gets repaced by dryer air, if any. Outboard motor gas tanks will build up a lot of water in the gas if they have an air leak. One winter, mine had a huge chunk of ice rattling around just from an air leak through a bad valve.
Just threw this in - I guess you knew this, but I'd wait for more evidence of a problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the door panels off - found evidence of water / moisture, and passenger side plastic sheathing was wet on the bottom. Luckily we get some nice rains now over the weekend so with the door panels off, I will push the car out and see where the water is coming from into the doors...

·
Registered
735 Posts
Took the door panels off - found evidence of water / moisture, and passenger side plastic sheathing was wet on the bottom. Luckily we get some nice rains now over the weekend so with the door panels off, I will push the car out and see where the water is coming from into the doors...
I didn't think car windows were sealed well enough to keep all the water out of the doors. I don't see how they could be and still go up & down quietly with motors smaller than a few h.p. Aren't there usually drain holes in the bottom of car doors?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I Googled it and found that all doors have drain holes in the bottom. Sometimes they get clogged and apparently a door can hold several gallons :D

Here is 1 explanation of water in the doors:

"Think about it, if your window goes up and down, it's going to happen.

You would be better off taking the door panel off so you can understand the construction of your door.

I'd also check your window trim, if it's messed up, you will get an abnormal amount of water in there.

Every car on the market has a certain extent of this, it's inevitable, and it's why there's nothing of super importance in the doors. not to mention, another reason that we recomend car speakers and not home speakers or computer speakers."

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mlrb2113 - I'm fully aware of the construction, have both door panels & speakers out right now. Just trying to diagnose which of the seals is the culprit that lets in enough water (not much, not liters or gallons) and drips right into the area behind the larger speaker, cumulating there and eventually ruining the speaker.

My fix will most likely be drilling some holes to the bottom of the speaker assembly (black plastic, right behind the larger speaker cone) so water cannot accummulate there and drips to the bottom of the door where it can get out.

Make sense?

·
Registered
735 Posts
mlrb2113 - I'm fully aware of the construction, have both door panels & speakers out right now. Just trying to diagnose which of the seals is the culprit that lets in enough water (not much, not liters or gallons) and drips right into the area behind the larger speaker, cumulating there and eventually ruining the speaker.

My fix will most likely be drilling some holes to the bottom of the speaker assembly (black plastic, right behind the larger speaker cone) so water cannot accummulate there and drips to the bottom of the door where it can get out.

Make sense?
No.
We seem to have 2 identical threads going here, so I'll copy & post my latest and final (I hope) observation from the other one, to wit:

Something's missing. I'd leave the door panel off and take it to a dealer or a good Merc indy and ask him what it is. This is not a problem you should have if all the pieces were in place.
From what you say, it was an original design flaw, which ain't hardly possible.

"Unfortunately the way the R129 speaker assembly is mounted, any water dripping from the top of the door will drop onto the speaker assembly and from there will drop into the area right behind the larger speaker. It will gradually collect there and will eventually rise enough to hit the speaker cone."

Why don't we all have that problem?
:surrender:

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,106 Posts

Make sense?
You already have the panel off, so sit in the car and have somebody spray the car with a garden hose and see which seal is letting the water in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mrlb - simple, my door seals are a bit worn and let a bit of water in. I'm trying to find out which exact seal so I don't have to spend $250 and get all of them replaced. This is a hobby car, no need to replace seals that are not leaking.

RMK - yup, that's next since the rain test did not help much :)

Yes, two threads on the same topic (initially thought to be two different problems) - Let's close this one...

·
Registered
735 Posts
mrlb - simple, my door seals are a bit worn and let a bit of water in. I'm trying to find out which exact seal so I don't have to spend $250 and get all of them replaced. This is a hobby car, no need to replace seals that are not leaking.

RMK - yup, that's next since the rain test did not help much :)

Yes, two threads on the same topic (initially thought to be two different problems) - Let's close this one...
I suppose the seals on every R129 made are "a bit worn" but haven't and won't be replaced.
I agree; I'm done. :bowdown:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts