Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 500SL AMG 6.0
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I did a search but couldn't find anything similar to this - my car sits outside in the rain (yes, I know but my garage is full of other stuff!!), and when I open the driver's door, the air vent that goes from the side of the dash to the door has water in it - the rubber seal holds some of it. Apparently quite a bit comes in, because the water runs down the door and pools on the door sill.

Anyone seen this before and fixed it? I looked in the cabin air filter area but couldn't see an obvious leak, although there were two vent doors that were open - are they supposed to be closed when the car is off??

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
It is because your problem is unique.
I did read sometime a go about water geting in from the window glass and pooling
in the door damaging the speaker, but you said it is over the other side.

If I understand you correctly you are talking about the carpeted panel over your knees?
It has a vent pipe in it going from the heater box, to the door.
Right?

The only thing I can see is that the windshild is leaking.
Or the seal on the hard top is leaking, water travels down to the side and then in to the vent.
Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
It is because your problem is unique.
I did read sometime a go about water geting in from the window glass and pooling
in the door damaging the speaker, but you said it is over the other side.

If I understand you correctly you are talking about the carpeted panel over your knees?
It has a vent pipe in it going from the heater box, to the door.
Right?

The only thing I can see is that the windshild is leaking.
Or the seal on the hard top is leaking, water travels down to the side and then in to the vent.
Regards.
aam.
I think aam is onto something here,as I would have thought if it was the vent you would likely have water in both sides. Is the hard or softop on as my hardtop in a downpour has a slight leak when stoodstill but not when running:confused: this is the seal at the top of the door ,no leak at anytime with the softop on as it overhangs just a fraction more, Is the car parked level so the water is not running all to one place,just another thought,hope this helps:)

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
I think aam is onto something here,as I would have thought if it was the vent you would likely have water in both sides. Is the hard or softop on as my hardtop in a downpour has a slight leak when stoodstill but not when running:confused: this is the seal at the top of the door ,no leak at anytime with the softop on as it overhangs just a fraction more, Is the car parked level so the water is not running all to one place,just another thought,hope this helps:)
Hahaha.
It is years of training my friend.
See if you keep the wife busy she has no time to nag, and she is HAPPY to see you.
The same goes with kids.
So I learned to invent things up to keep them occupied.

Now trying is not failure.
Many failures make success at the end, for some.
OK,OK I know what you mean. ;)
Now who said that learning from your mistakes you get smart.
Learning from others, you became wise. ETC.
Laws of relativity?

Regards.
aam.

·
Registered
1990 500SL AMG 6.0
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I know I have an issue with the hardtop seal where it meets the windshield - I just didn't think the water could get into the vent from there. Hmmm... it's strange.

Aam, yes the water's in the vent pipe going from the heater to the door - there's a little rubber seal between the dash and the door, and that's where the water collects. the funny thing is that the vent pipe goes UP from the heater, so the water must not be coming from that direction - however the opposite direction (door) seems dry. Weird

I will continue to investigate the seal at the top of the windshield (weather's getting nice so I am going to take the hardtop off now anyways) and see what it looks like under there.

will post what I find in a few days. Thx for the help...!

Johnnay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts