Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys..

There's been a lot of rain recently and I noticed like about 4"" of water in my trunk (boot) the other day! I have never had any leaks before and the trunk has always been dry with no signs of any rust or water marks, so this is something thats just started. I got a hose and poured water, and climbed inside the car with a torch, I noticed that there was a drip coming from the rubber gasket on one of corners were the tunk meets the body so have cleaned out the build up of dirt and it seems to have stopped.

Has anyone had this problem and no what the common areas for leaks are?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
I think that it it usually blocked gullys as in your case. Is there a 'drain hole' in the spare wheel well in case this occurs?

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that it it usually blocked gullys as in your case. Is there a 'drain hole' in the spare wheel well in case this occurs?
yes there is a drain hole under the spare wheel, its little rubber grommit, but it was blocked at the time so the water just sat there. It has now drained away. I Still think there's some water getting in somewhere as there is a small amount on the right rear pocket hollow on the side.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks for the info guys on were to look for the leak in my trunk, it was indeed the rubber seal gasket that goes all the way around the lip of the trunk and there was alot of debris under neath the side plastic trim too. I removed all the crap and cleaned inside the groove of the rubber trim as there was muck in there too with a screwdriver and cloth. I then noticed that there was the white protection grease used in the groove which had deteriated and dried out. I applied new grease and re-fitted the trim. Tested it with the hose and there was no sign of leaks ! great...

Then strangely my fuel gauge that had been playing up started to work again so I am now very happy !

·
Registered
CLK 320 2000
36 Posts
Just a delayed add-on to this thread.

I knew for some time that I had an occasional leak from the left boot (trunk) rim when it rained. The problem has become much worse and with recent heavy rain I was horrified by the amount of water swilling around the boot and battery.

So - clamber into boot via the back seat folded down, with torch, and friend hosed down the boot lid, wings and rear window for a minute two. There was a single 'drip..drip' which seemed to track down from the rim seal, but from the bottom - not the top where seal contacts metal boot lid.

I stripped everything out of the boot and tapped out the small round trim clips (rivet clips) that hold down the plastic strips (gutters) on either side of the boot. Clogged with mud and vegetable grot as shown in the photos.

I washed everything out and cleaned the whole area. I got caught in a sudden, heavy rain shower and could see water rapidly entering the boot via the top clip hole (photo 4) and 'appearing' to drip from under the rim seal.

Dried out the boot, waxoyled rust areas, cleaned out rubber drain grommets and refitted the side gutters with Loctite black silicone sealant applied to the rivet clips. I think that the rim seal is not likely to fail in the W208 but the side gutters clog with dirt and perhaps 1 or 2 rivet clips leak.

It's certainly worth choosing a dry sunny day, stripping off the side gutters and cleaning. The rivet clips need to have their central pin tapped up and out, but this is tricky and it's easy to damage the clip. I thought that knocking the pin down and in would end up with the pin getting lost.

Has anyone got easy access to WIS and can post the part number for the 5 trim clips that hold down each boot gutter. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The metal clip that you showed in your pic is not what holds the rubber gasket in place, its just hooked on the lip to hold the internal fabric liner in place. As its made of mild steel it rusts and I found that this swelled over the years and caused the gasket come loose allowing dirt to build and eventually causing water to move up and over the lip into the car.
Do what you have done and remove the whole rubber gasket off the lip, clean the metal thouroughly and then use a flat screwdriver and rag to clean inside the groove on the gasket.
I then used a product called 'Plumbers Mate' its used in plumbing to seal areas that have water and movement as it stays unset like a putty, place some in the groove on the gasket where your leaks were and refit the gasket, worked for me over 2 years now.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
The metal clip that you showed in your pic is not what holds the rubber gasket in place, its just hooked on the lip to hold the internal fabric liner in place. As its made of mild steel it rusts and I found that this swelled over the years and caused the gasket come loose allowing dirt to build and eventually causing water to move up and over the lip into the car.
Do what you have done and remove the whole rubber gasket off the lip, clean the metal thouroughly and then use a flat screwdriver and rag to clean inside the groove on the gasket.
I then used a product called 'Plumbers Mate' its used in plumbing to seal areas that have water and movement as it stays unset like a putty, place some in the groove on the gasket where your leaks were and refit the gasket, worked for me over 2 years now.

Good luck
Hi my w202also had water in the trunk after after an extreme storm. It seem the water was coming thru on the top left side of the trunk. Is the remedy the same.?

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 2010 S550 4matic
532 Posts
The other thing you HAVE to watch out for are the trim pieces that make contact with the body - not only the big rubber gasket. They are rigid plastic with a rubber seal at the top. There is an adhesive disk that holds the rubber piece to the body and its the piece directly behind the trunk lid rubber stop which goes through the trim piece. That rubber stop is actually held in place with a nut at the back and you can't remove the trim piece without removing the rubber stop. If this piece isn't making a snug contact with the body water will enter the car at this point very slowly. The disc seems to be a thin double sided tape just to hold the front edge in place.

As our cars age the rubber bits (even with very low mileage) start to harden so rejuvenating any of the rubber where you can is pretty important. Regular Glycerin works pretty well as does Vinylex (LEXOL PRODUCTS).

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe & 1997 E320
32 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I recently encountered a similar issue to this but not as bad as whole boot flooded. Basically, I opened the trunk/boot and there was a very slight amount of water which seeped out from the trunk lid. Specifically, the water came out from the trim where you change the globes on the trunk lid.

I noticed that I have a lot of crap/debris similar to picture 3 that rmr1 posted. My question is, how do you remove the plastic gutters on each side of the trunk (picture 1 in rmr1's post)? Do I need to remove trim to do this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From memory the plastic trim is held in by 'flush plastic rivets' . There is a centre dowl that is pushed in the centre of the rivet. In the centre there is a small slot about 3mm, You can use a small flat screwdriver to push in and lever out the centre dowl.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From memory the plastic trim is held in by 'flush plastic rivets' . There is a centre dowl that is pushed in the centre of the rivet. In the centre there is a small slot about 3mm, You can use a small flat screwdriver to push in and lever out the centre dowl.
Actually I've just checked, you need to use a point of a knife to get center dowl then use pliers to pull

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe & 1997 E320
32 Posts
Actually I've just checked, you need to use a point of a knife to get center dowl then use pliers to pull
Thanks for the quick response A1EK. OK, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Just to confirm, use the point of the knife to pull the centre dowl out enough to use a pair of pliers to pull it out.

BTW, nice photo in your signature.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the quick response A1EK. OK, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Just to confirm, use the point of the knife to pull the centre dowl out enough to use a pair of pliers to pull it out.

BTW, nice photo in your signature.
Yes exactly, just use a knife with a point or Stanley knife to lever up the centre pin then use the pliers to pull out the pin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts