Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1959 411.110
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reccomendations for flushing out 411/ 404 transmissions? My 411 transmission had allot water in it (sat idle outside for a while) and the fluid was stained a rust color; bad news, I know.

I've heard people reccomend draining old fluid and running diesel or kerosene in transmissions briefly and with no load to flush old fluids out before a refill, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,998 Posts
its fairly common, just drain and refill. Drive it around the block a few times and repeat.

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW-1
494 Posts
KC's advice is best. I've never liked the diesel cleaning solution for a couple of different reasons. If you drain the tranny, fill with diesel, and then drain, you are still going to have plenty of diesel left over in various pockets that will dilute whatever goes in next. Obviously, if you fill/drain with tranny fluid several times, the diesel will eventually get out of there. The thing is, diesel is not an adequate lubricant for that transmission, even if it is just sitting there spinning with no load.

Maybe buy some cheap GL-4 in bulk for doing several flushes until every trace of moisture is gone, and then finish off with a quality/synthetic GL-4....

·
Registered
91 Posts
I changed my trans oil last summer and prior to doing so I added a can of sea foam. Honestly, I hadn't looked in the trans prior to the flush so I can't give you quantitative results. Sea Foam I think would be beneficial, especially because it does have water removing properties to it. I'm not a big believer in miracle cures or anything, but this stuff does work.

Sea Foam

I'd say dump what you have in there now. Refill, bring the trans up to temp, drain, and refill, and you'll be good to go. I'd also recommend getting trans oil from napa. They sell gallons at reasonable prices, and after running redline mt-90 vs the napa stuff I can't really tell the difference.

rodger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts