Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Silver 1982 300SD Turbo Diesel. 1980 300D. Gold 1992 300TE Wagon
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) My trunk is always moist and in both wells its wet. The rubber seal looks good. When I open the trunk after it rains water runs down the passenger side trunk curved hinge is there a drain for the trunk lid ?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,135 Posts
Its very common. I've mostly eradicated all my moisture sources. It was never totally sopping, but never dry either. I replaced rear lamp seals - this helps a lot, but they are expensive. I did the ones around the lamp units and also the ones between lense and lamp unit. It might be more cost effective to use some kind of automotive sealant. Dont use the bathroom variety o sealant as it encourages corrosion due to salts in its make-up. Dont ask me how i found out...
Antenna grommet is a common source. Is it loose? Or cracked? Mine nedded tightening and thats all.
And the trunk seal, its a pain in the arse sometimes and expensive to buy but i did mine recently as it had been replaced before and i think incorrect glue used. Hence water was actually creeping underneath it and over the lip, also starting rust in places on the lip. So the seal was fine and looked good, but water was geting under it. Because of bad glue used it came off easy, i prepped and rustproffed and used MB glue to fix the new one.
Water running down from your bootlid is probably just condensation, a design feature :) If your boot is less moist maybe there wil be less condensation?

·
Registered
1988 560 sel,2011honda pilot 4wd ,08 gti the baby,91 190 2.6(sold) NA 95 volvo 855T wagonTurbo (DD)
245 Posts
that what i did on my w 201 and it sloved the problem...

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,685 Posts
Or you have a bunch of hidden rust holes under your rear screen :)
+ 1
Check the rear window frame from your trunk. If that is dry, you can start smiling.
Antenna grommet, tail light and trunk seals are not that bad to replace.
Cheers

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
'Screens

where are my rear screens?
It's the big glass thingy between the trunk lid and the roof :)

Try a bucket of soapy water and a sponge, soak the roof with the trunk lid open and see where the bubbles come out. Just don't soak it so much that it overflows the trunk lid seal. As above, tailight seals, rusty rear window base and radio mast seal are the candidates.

·
Registered
1987 300SDL
1,609 Posts
Its very common. I've mostly eradicated all my moisture sources. It was never totally sopping, but never dry either. I replaced rear lamp seals - this helps a lot, but they are expensive. I did the ones around the lamp units and also the ones between lense and lamp unit. It might be more cost effective to use some kind of automotive sealant. Dont use the bathroom variety o sealant as it encourages corrosion due to salts in its make-up. Dont ask me how i found out...
Antenna grommet is a common source. Is it loose? Or cracked? Mine nedded tightening and thats all.
And the trunk seal, its a pain in the arse sometimes and expensive to buy but i did mine recently as it had been replaced before and i think incorrect glue used. Hence water was actually creeping underneath it and over the lip, also starting rust in places on the lip. So the seal was fine and looked good, but water was geting under it. Because of bad glue used it came off easy, i prepped and rustproffed and used MB glue to fix the new one.
Water running down from your bootlid is probably just condensation, a design feature :) If your boot is less moist maybe there wil be less condensation?
The trunk seal? Expensive?
I got mine from AutohuasAZ for less than 25 usd....

·
Registered
Silver 1982 300SD Turbo Diesel. 1980 300D. Gold 1992 300TE Wagon
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel stupid. I have always thought that thingey was called a window...

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Translation...

I feel stupid. I have always thought that thingey was called a window...

I wouldn't feel too bad - two nations separated by a common language, US and UK...

Windshield (US) - Windscreen (UK)

Trunk - Boot

Hood - Bonnet

There's more, but you get the idea :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts