Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So would sound like an easy head gasket failure right? Not too sure how these things act with a failed HG but any other car in my experience would act waaayyy differently...
So I bought the car from a coworker about a month ago, it was handed down to her and was misfiring horribly and barely drive-able.
Well upon inspection I found a couple huge vacuum leaks but no contamination in any fluids so I reluctantly bought it (it was super cheap so who cares, right?) fast forward a week after purchasing the car, I fixed the vacuum leaks but still had a misfire. I had been driving it sparely since I live in a very central location (Walmart is a mile away if that). I usually check my fluids every fill-up. It came with a 1/2 a tank of gas and I wasn’t even at a 1/4 tank. But it had been a week of short trips so I figured why not. Realized these things don’t come with dip-sticks (WTH!) so I ordered 2 and they’re still coming... Anyways! When I checked my coolant I noticed oil on the cap and the tank was empty. So I immediately thought “Oh no..” so I checked the oil cap, contaminated as well. I’m confused, I live near Nashville and traffic here is horrible. Between traffic and short highway trips (we go 85+ here we don’t worry about police, CANT STOP US ALL!!) i would say in my experience that it would’ve overheated, but never showed a sign of that. Doesn’t smoke or anything like that. A tad bit strange right? Well it gets even worse here. I don’t have a compression test kit or any specialty tools anymore because my tools got stolen back home in Virginia. So with my basic tools I do what I can to confirm a HG failure. So I proceed to pull coils and plugs, 1st coil I pull, FULL of water and oil. I FOUND MY MISFIRE!!! But that doesn’t help me now😂 Second coil I pull there were small traces of oil. The other 2 were normal. Now to the plugs, all 4 plugs look old but fine, I looked down the holes, all cylinders look normal for an almost 200,000 mile engine. It’s supposed to be my little project to keep me out of trouble but I think it went a little too far😂 Tell me what you think. I think it’s coming from something else, I’ve had a few suggestions but not someone having the same problem as me. For the contamination I’ve had in the matter of a weeks time, driving in 100+ degree heat and this engine not overheating or smoking in the slightest bit I’m not seeing an HG failure here.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Agreed , don't jump to HG conclusion.
Maybe change the oil and the coolant ,,,then see what happens...When doing oil change ,,measure out the exact amount required and pour it in ..don't need dipstick.
Maybe could be an oil cooler gasket failure ?

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,839 Posts
There is an oil cooler that can fail and allow coolant and engine oil to mix. It's under the oil filer (access from below, remove the starter).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate both of you! I’ve been working a lot and haven’t had the chance to do anything with it. It’s supposed to be my little fun runabout car but it’s looking more like try to fix it and daily it. I was planning on purchasing a 2012 Infiniti QX56 in brown, but it was sold before I could even get to the dealer because of this problem and work. I’ll include pictures of what I found when I did get time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem for more than a year and R20 000, 00 later got the cause myself not a lot of guys know this but it is a R120,00 problem. Behind the water pump there are two flat o-rings that sepperate the water from the oil you can just remove the timing cover and replace the two off them and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The oil cooler wouldn't be the issue. The coolant and oil are kept in separate chambers within the cooler and they don't mix. I have never even heard on these coolers failing internally on Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Not the oil cooler ,,but the gaskets between the cooler and the oil filter housing certainly fail on M112 ,M113 ,M272 and M273,,,allowing oil and coolant to mix.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,839 Posts
I've also seen oil coolers that cracked internally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts