Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
CL55
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got some water in the footwell and removed everything, the CAN BUS connectors require cleaning but I cannot figure out how to remove the connectors from the block. The photo shows the male connectors but also the female connectors are rusty and need submersing in vinegar etc so I need to remove them from the block as cleaning them in the block is not possible.

Does anyone know how to do this ? I've tried all sorts of screwdrivers, lifting the plastic, trying to pull the cable but they don't budge - any ideas ?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
4,220 Posts
In the electronics industry there is probably a pin extractor tools, but you could just dip the entire connector into a cup of vinegar for a day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good question, and much important that it could be useful for any of us. So to say you better check twice before you try to fix this issue, as you want to fix it by yourself, so it could be dangerous. I can say that I had fixed a lot of things in my Home after a big flooding as a result of water migration in my Area. I was wondering if I will be able to fix small issues in my house by myself and save some money and I was searching everything on google because there was a big risk to be electrocuted, but I had luck when I found this article Necessary Equipment for Dealing with Water Damage Restoration | Flood Damage Pro which helped me to find out how should I fix everything after a flooding damage in my house. So you can take a look as well, I am pretty sure you will find a lot of useful information that will help you to fix your issues

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,192 Posts
Hi,

I got some water in the footwell and removed everything, the CAN BUS connectors require cleaning but I cannot figure out how to remove the connectors from the block. The photo shows the male connectors but also the female connectors are rusty and need submersing in vinegar etc so I need to remove them from the block as cleaning them in the block is not possible.

Does anyone know how to do this ? I've tried all sorts of screwdrivers, lifting the plastic, trying to pull the cable but they don't budge - any ideas ?
(1) I hope you have resolved your water-in-the-footwell problem - most likely coming from a clogged sunroof drain or clogged cowl drain. You need to fix these first otherwise, the water problem will return.

(2) Those male (electrical) pins are one-way barb connectors. Difficult but not impossible to remove. Used commonly in the RC industry too. I presume vinegar works...I would spray some CRC electrical contact cleaner onto these connectors and wiring first and let them dry. Then use fine steel wool to get at the rust on the pins, male and female. Use compressed air to clean out the rust particles and finish off with the CRC and allow it to dry (dries fast)

If you really wish to remove the individual pins, you'll need to be patient and use thin narrow tweezers or similar that can fit inside between the plastic and the pin to get at the "barb" portion of the connector pins so that you can push them in (so they dont hook back) as you attempt to pull the pins out individually. Make sure you take a photo of the wiring pin layout so you remember placement.

(3) Ensure you dry out thoroughly the underside of the carpet/footwell area. The molded carpets are thick and heavy and you do need to get ALL of the moisture out - heat gun, blow dryer, small ceramic heater on low heat blowing that underside.....

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 12.13.24 AM.png

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,360 Posts
Just do what you can to open them up ,,or visit the pick and pull yards, Find a car like youes cut the loom each side of the connector leave enough to join to the exisiting loom in your car .. .And re join them and solder the wires then use shrink wrap [put on the wire first] to cover the joints .Dont think you wil open them with out the right tool i used to made these contacts and in situ the lock in to one another ,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts