Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend, I went camping with a bunch of my friends at a Rover Rally. While in Ocala National Forest, we did alot of deep water crossings.
After several hours of crossing more than 10 deep spots, my engine stalled on the last one.
When I opened the air filter/water dam, it was full of water (about a gallon or so). That foam lined air filter saved my butt.
I noticed several things. First, the water was not draining out. Second, the rest of the engine and compartment was bone dry.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't trill a larger hole in the bottom so that the water can drain out?

Should I disconnect the air intake feed that runs to the grill before begining a crossing?
I know that the engine compartment is hotter, but it stayed dry too.

Has anyone here added a snorkel to the G320? My air intake feeds from the front grill. I like the way that the newer G500's feed from the sides better. Should I even bother with a snorkel?

Chuck

·
Registered
13 Posts
A small hole in the bottom of the air filter housing (exterior to the filter, of course) could let the water drain, as you were thinking.
Obviously, a siphon (or "sucking up" of water splashing around your front grille) was drawing water into the air filter. An additional small hole, on the top of the air conduit just downstream from the intake opening, might also break the "suction" and prevent the heavy water from being drawn up into the filter housing.

·
Registered
1985 280GE LWB A/T
64 Posts
Chuck:

Unless you think you are going to be a frequent submarine captain, you may want to try securing a tarp over the front grille and draping it underneath a little as well (as an alternative to a snorkel kit). This will also serve to keep that Florida muck out of the radiator. While crossing (slowly...no wake), you will have an air pocket keeping things dry. However, if you stop in the water, you will loose the air pocket. Recommend you remove the tarp after each crossing.

I do not know enough about the G320. If the breathers for the Tranny, T-Case, and diffs are NOT raised into the engine compartment, I would consider immediately changing all fluids.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Chuck,

you may want to change your technique of how you cross water - water in your filter is a warning sign.

Mark,

in my (insignificant) experience there is no air pocket behind the tarp. I have been sitting ontop of the open engine compartment while a friend drove through deep water - at no speed (tarp or no tarp) is there less water behind the radiator. It is a tad lower at some speeds, only to be higher 2 feet behind that.

Nonetheless, the tarp is a good technique to protect the air intake and to keep debris out of the radiator.

Harald

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts

i know orc sells a snorkel, but it is pretty expensive. mantec also makes a nice snorkel. this spring i will be adding a snorkel. to add a safari snorkel, in the 280's, flip the air filter canister so the spout shoots towards the cab. its not a direct fit for the g but i think i can make it fit nice. the mantec snorkel is a bit nicer due to the routing through the fender and it has the chimney top as opposed to the safari snorkel.

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Graz designed a new snorkel for the Canadian G270CDI
they are fairly inexpensive on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44243&item=7956572297&rd=1

·
Registered
1982 300gd
57 Posts
I've considered running a tube to the cabin air in take.It also has a drainage hole and if you combine that with the cabin air filter near the hood level it would help to provide additional filtration on dusty trails . The side of the cabin air intake housing would need to be cut for a opening but I think this a reasonable low cost solution as long as you don't plan on going too deep. Just a thought I've started kicking around.
scott

·
Registered
1987 280GE
352 Posts
4x4abc - 2/24/2005 1:16 PM

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44243&item=7956572297&rd=1
Fairly inexpensive!? *loooooooool*

135 Euro Sofortkauf!?!?! *rotfl*

This crappy Pipe costs only 40 Euros!!!!!

With all Mounting-Parts it cost 91,60 PLUS Tax ...

Here a list ...

4615002981 - 15,00Euro (???)
4615003031 - 19,00Euro (HALTER)
4615050088 - 9,50Euro (???)
4615050051 - 3,50Euro (ABSTANDRING)
4615050080 - 1,80Euro (DICHTRING)
4615060034 - 2,80Euro (GITTER)
4615000255 - 28,00Euro (ANSAUGROHR)
4615060134 - 12,00Euro (STUTZEN)
------------------------------------
91,60Euro (+MwSt)

Greetings, Arnd!

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crossing without a Snorkel

4x4abc - 2/24/2005 1:16 PM

How do I plumb it for my G320? Is the G270's intake the same as mine?

On the last water crossing (sometime around midnight), I hit a "deep spot" that lasted for only two seconds (and 20 heart beats). It sent a "splash" over the entire hood as all of the headlights and fog lights went underwater (everything went pitch black for those two seconds). By the time that the engine stalled, I had already popped out of the "deep spot".
I had one of the other guys pull me out (a Range Rover with a 4" lift and a snorkel who was already on the other side).
Once on the other side, we opened the hood to find the engine compartment dry. No water had even touched the rest of the engine.
Once I opened the air cleaner/water dam. I noticed that it was full and wasn't draining out. The majority of the air filter was completely saturated with water, but not a drop made it through.
We then grabbed a 10mm and removed the air cleaner box and dumped the water. One of the guys had a CO² Air Tank that we used to blow the water out of the air filter (and attempt to dry it out).
We were instantly able to restart the engine without problems. She purr'd just as before.
Unfortunatly, the air filter was too saturated to be used. I even cut out the foam bottom to attempt for more air flow. No Luck.
In order to get back, we used several shop rags as a temporary filter. I then moved to the front of the pack (so I would not get as much dust from the road) and continued back to camp (about 5 miles).
In the morning, the air filter was dry enough to put back into the truck for the trip home.
I have since replaced the air filter with a new one. I also ordered an extra one to keep as a spare.
Now you know the story...

The "deep spot" was unexpected of course. Hind sight, if I would have disconnected the front air pickup that runs to the grill to the air cleaner box, the dry engine compartment would have given me enough time to make it through without any problems. Of course I still would not be able to stop and/or reverse back much. I think that this would have also worked better than a tarp in the front.

What do you guys think? Any other opinions?

Chuck

p.s. That is also why I was looking for replacement flog light lens in the other post. I don't know if it was on this particular crossing, but when the hot fog light hit the water, the sudden temperature change cracked the Bosch lens. (shouldn't that be considered a manufacturer's defect covered under warranty? LOL!)

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
RE: Crossing without a Snorkel

hella makes a nice waterproof lamp housing. susquehanna motorsports sells them.
if you still need a bosch fog light glass call ecs tuning and ask for jack. 1-800-924-5172, have the bosch part number handy.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
Gs will take a lot of water, but I agree with Harald tecnique in water crossing is a developed skill. a snorkel is not always the answer, Years of practice on active duty with Gs taught me to travel slowly with lots of revs but try never to totaly drown the engine there are other factors to consider. Thermal shock to components,and long term effect of condensation/ evaperation on electric/ electronic components.
But then again with the old 280 GEs nothing seemed to stop them.

Attachments

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4x4rancher - 2/27/2005 5:29 PM

Gs will take a lot of water, but I agree with Harald tecnique in water crossing is a developed skill. a snorkel is not always the answer, Years of practice on active duty with Gs taught me to travel slowly with lots of revs but try never to totaly drown the engine there are other factors to consider. Thermal shock to components,and long term effect of condensation/ evaperation on electric/ electronic components.
But then again with the old 280 GEs nothing seemed to stop them.
Great Picture! That looks alot like what I went through (except after midnight).
Is that a gun turrett/hatch on top?

I don't think that I would have had any issues if my air intakes were located on the sides like the G500. I'm going to try creating a cut-off to block the intake directly through the front grill.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
The hatch was a copula for observation.
The vehicle is a BRIXMIS configured inteligence gathering 280 GE in use in former East Germany in the 80s era of the cold war.
I just bought a 230 G that has been used for this purpose from Berlin to add to my colection. The hatch has been removed by the last owners the BGS.

Attachments

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still looking for a snorkel for my G320.

Has anyone done this conversion on the G320 (M104 Engine)?

I can't possibly see how I can fit anything to the factory air box and filter...

Does anyone have any pictures?

Chuck

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
I had Snorkel on my Defender 90 . I confess i never cross a "river " higher than 30 cms alone , the two times i did it we were in group ( i am not crazy).Slow speed i think is the most important thing.

Did you think about the exausts ? The are a kind of snorkel to them too. They are in a very low position than the air intake.

·
Registered
Mercedes "M32"
961 Posts
Zé Bocaina - 6/14/2005 9:38 PM

I had Snorkel on my Defender 90 . I confess i never cross a "river " higher than 30 cms alone , the two times i did it we were in group ( i am not crazy).Slow speed i think is the most important thing.

Did you think about the exausts ? The are a kind of snorkel to them too. They are in a very low position than the air intake.
You dont need a snorkel for the exhaust unless you plan on turning the engine off under water. The pressure from the exhuast is greater then the pressure of water trying to get in.

·
Registered
G 500 06 / 300 GE Cab 91 / 300D 83 Turbo/ 300GD 1980
1,318 Posts
Of course if you are alone you must consider the possibility of be blocked and then your engine can stop........

·
Registered
1993 - 250 GD LWB Cabrio Wolf
97 Posts
Check out the snorkel on this truck from a mechanic at G-Center in The Netherlands. I think that this installation is foe sale at G-Center.

BTW, that's JW Mol "parked in a ditch" behind the SWB.

·
Registered
1993 - 250 GD LWB Cabrio Wolf
97 Posts
Check out the snorkel on this truck from a mechanic at G-Center in The Netherlands. I think that this installation is foe sale at G-Center.

BTW, that's JW Mol "parked in a ditch" behind the SWB.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts