Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my expansion valve on a 02 CLK430. Is there a trick to getting the "water collector" out? I have it loose but it seems like it is shoe-horned in there and I don't want to force it.

·
Registered
2002 430 CLK
195 Posts
I want to change my expansion valve on a 02 CLK430. Is there a trick to getting the "water collector" out? I have it loose but it seems like it is shoe-horned in there and I don't want to force it.
I have the same question and predicament. After removing the top center portion of firewall I am able to get the left side of the collector out enough so it can be raised out of the way for access to expansion valve. Even after loosening the control box on the right side it won't slide forward enough to free the collector.

Really tempted to cut the collector in half and deal with resealing it later. We'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Is this the 'water collector' that carries the water from the windshield to a drain? If so, this post from the archives might help:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w208-clk-class/1550977-rain-drain-buckets-water-footwells-2.html

Additionally, this WIS drawing below covers the removal/installation of the water collector. W202 & W208 are similar here. It seems quite a hassle.. and I'm not sure that the wiper system needs to be removed here, as stated.

Removal of the cover on the air intakes, and removal of the air intakes are on post #18 of the thread above. I'm not sure what is preventing your removal.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 430 CLK
195 Posts
It is bound in by the control module box. Maybe loosening the screws works on the w202 in pdf, but it doesn't on w208 because the wheel well is right there so box can't slide forward. I reinstalled my wc today and if I need remove it again just to access the expansion valve. I will cut about 2.5ft off of the left side and not have to remove control box. Removing everything else in the pdf is essential. Also, the vacuum line from booster needs to come off to remove firewall section-- didn't see that mentioned

1 - 4 of 4 Posts