Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL, two months after I bought this GL I may have figured out why I got such a good deal. The rear hatch, when it closes, sometimes closes halfway leaving it not clicked shut all the way, it may look closed but if you shake it it's not clicked all the way shut... and when this happens if you don't pay attention and help it shut tightly, it will leave a little light on somewhere that will drain your battery. THEN when you have to go somewhere, you are not going. The car's battery resides under the passenger seat! Meaning, you must move the seat forward to access. Try moving the seat with a dead battery. Not moving! So you must find the owners book, then find page 535 where it tells you how to hook up a battery charger to the terminals under the hood. I am sure that after several times of coming out to the car with a dead battery, the previous owner got tired of all the hassle and traded it in just to get rid of it. These are little issues, but become big if you've gotta get somewhere and are stranded. What genius decided to put the battery under the front passenger seat!!! I have noticed that sometimes when opening the rear hatch it won't lift itself up... is this the same part that makes it shut tightly? What part might be the culprit? I thought the struts but those wouldn't have anything to do with its closing actuation... would they? My battery is now charging up again... If your rear hatch doesn't shut tightly, make sure you don't forget it one night because you'll come out to find a dead battery.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE, Battery is all charged up and car is happy again, It has a little grin like it is happy that I am aware of its slight inability to shut the back door all the way sometimes. I will now be checking it when I go out nightly to put the cars to bed. Now that it is up and running, I will put the passenger seat forward and have a look at the battery to see how new it is, and whether it is the right kind! I wonder about the black vents on the hood, is it possible to have them chromed?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually I found a video which shows there is a hydraulic fluid and pump that actuates the liftgate rear door of these vehicles!
So tomorrow I will check the fluid under the spare tire.. Maybe if it's a little bit low then adding some will help it shut all the way. Makes sense because sometimes it doesn't feel like lifting up. I really don't think the latch itself has any problem..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts