Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
ML320 2003 VW CC 2010
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i cleaned the air intake manifold of all the sludge from the EGR and cleaned the lines going to the ALDA. I did get a little more power but im interested in seeing what else i can do. My uncle suggested removing the wastegate for more power. From what i understand all the wastegate does is allow excess boost into the exhaust so to keep the turbo from blowin apart. I know my uncle has taken the wastegates off of all his trucks with no bad results and and I know that none of our tractors have a wastegate and we have never had a problem with anything blowing apart. Im curious if anyone has done this to their car?

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
you'll always want some form of a wastegate on your turbo all the time. if you have no means of controlling boost, you're going to be in trouble. all the wastegate does is control the amount of boost (sans boost controller) and prevents overboost. figure out how to modify the wastegate to stay closed for longer and you'll build more boost. if you go overboard without the addition of fuel or without an intercooler, you're going to blow something up. most trucks are already intercooled and can handle uncontrolled boost.

your best bet would be to remove the EGR completely. it's an epic waste of space and mechanics on a diesel.

·
Registered
ML320 2003 VW CC 2010
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you ever really have to worry about extra boost high enough to destroy something? I am sure that my uncles trucks dont have intercoolers and like I said he has never had any issues. And I know none of our tractors on the farm have an intercooler or wastegate. Does this mean that they are just built stronger and can handle high boost pressures where as a car engine cannot? As far as the EGR how did you remove yours? I understand that if you just remove the vacuum line going to it it slams shut. Would this be enough or should i do more?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts