Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about adjusting the waste gate on their turbo or increasing the psi that the turbo puts out for a little more omph? I've been reading a bit about these things and it's interesting, but I'd like to know more. I've been reading that the factory de-tuned the turbo to about 7-8psi and that the engine is designed for about 12-13psi (the turbo is capable of putting between 20 and 40psi depending on who you talk to). Supposedly for better emissions. Sorry cali people, probably screw you guys up! I am doing more research, but anything anyone knows would be great. Iknow evryone would like just a little more out of their sweet diesel if we can prove that it won't damage the engine.
-M-

·
Registered
300TD,C32AMG
45 Posts
Remember,it's a diesel...

more boost alone won't generate more output.For more power,you'll need to add more fuel along with the increased boost.

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought of this, and thought I had a way around but I was wrong. I'm pretty sure th...

I had thought of this, and thought I had a way around but I was wrong. I'm pretty sure the only way to increase fuel would be with a different fuel pump. You can't adjust the pump w/o f-ing up the timing. The only way I can see getting that is by having someone machine one, which gets way out of my price range. Oh Well... just fun thinking, never hurts to try to get a little more out of one of these girls!
-M-

·
Registered
86 300SDL
5 Posts
ALDA

You need to try to adjust the ALDA first. THis will give you more fuel. I did mine on a 1983 300TD and it gave it a lot more power.[}:)]

·
Registered
719 Posts
Re: I had thought of this, and thought I had a way around but I was wrong. I'm pretty sure th

I had thought of this, and thought I had a way around but I was wrong. I'm pretty sure the only way to increase fuel would be with a different fuel pump. You can't adjust the pump w/o f-ing up the timing. The only way I can see getting that is by having someone machine one, which gets way out of my price range. Oh Well... just fun thinking, never hurts to try to get a little more out of one of these girls!
-M-
I believe there is a screw that you can turn in the back of the injector pump to bypass the fuel limit stop. Don't do this UNLESS you have installed an intercooler.

Right, then.
Boost the ALDA first to supply more fuel. You will be taken back(literally) by the amount of get-up-and-go power you will get from this simple adjustment.

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
---------

I just did a full ALDA/EGR tune-up! The best thing I did was to pull the fitting that sits in the intake manifold (rear) and clean it (the one that connects to the switch w/ a clear hose). That did at least as much as boosting the ALDA as it was so full of soot that it couldn't have been reading anything! Nice to have a little spunk back in the old girl.
Now my question is would adj the altitude sensor on my non-turbo have a similar effect? I think I'll try it and see!
-m-

·
Registered
85 300cd, 2000 ford excursion diesel, 1999 528 itwagon 95 roadking
371 Posts
adjusting the waste gate will hold the boost longer but the fuel will need to be adjusted. the alda is used to compansate for higher altitude{thinner air} and I think turning it counterclockwize will give you more fuel, but check around before doing this I dont know how much but ive been told all the way very gently do not crank down just bottom out the screw. the alda is located next to the vac control on the injector pump and there is a little circular tin and this is what covers the screw.fortunitly it will help the california emmissions people the most I have one 85 cd, it will also give you better take off when cold, try not to hammer it cold since this adjustment was also to prevent people from doing just that. good luck

·
Registered
85 300cd, 2000 ford excursion diesel, 1999 528 itwagon 95 roadking
371 Posts
it will also work for the non turbo but not the same gains. this is what the el,electronic controllers you may have read about" give your engine 200 more hp and 300ft/lbs of torque, does the same thing electronlclly. I want to do it for my excursion diesel.anyone wonder what a prropane system will do for a 240 using a switch like a kickdown switch?hmmmmmmm, the coffee is kicking in

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
So what is the ALDA? Sorry I've never owned, or worked on, a Mercedes before. I would like to get some extra power out of mine. Can anybody give me some details (possibly pictures) of what I can do? I would LOVE to increase my boost/fuel input.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Ok I understand the ALDA now. I just read the diagram of that system in my Haynes manual (Pg125). It doesn't appear that the boost pressure could be affected by this adjustment as is is the boost pressure that actually opens the wastegate. Is there a way to also adjust/control the wastegate? If the ALDA is allowing more fuel input, added boost pressure would undeniably be benificial. Also the ALDA system is obviously a barometer, more commonly known as MAP(manifold air pressure) sensor on computer controlled fuel systems. Higher boost pressure would result in more fuel input.
Ideas?

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
I found detailed instructions on adjusting the wastegate. They specifically say to make sure the fuel timing is set correctly and that the ALDA/overboost is working properly. Can't wait to try it. Here is the link http://business.baylor.edu/Richard_Easley//autofaqs/wgate.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts