1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 W220 S500
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one,

I just have one question

Since every one say’s: you should not drive throw water with an s-class because it might damage the car or an circuit

So if it is wrong then :confused:

Can you wash an - 05 S500

Like this ?? :confused:

[/url][/IMG]

[/url][/IMG]

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 2003 -- S430
190 Posts
i think its ok to wash it like this your not leaving the hose at one spot and soaking the thing (when the hood is open )

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
230 views isn’t there 1 scientific answer :crybaby2:
Or any one that has tried this type of wash :confused::confused:
1. Just how much "science" do you want in a question about washing a car? You haven't clearly stated what you concerns are. As with any car, you want to keep from soaking ignition components, and in a Benz or any other car with fuses under the hood, you don't want to soak the fuse panels (and in a Benz, the SAMs the fuse panels are attached to). On a W220 You want to be sure the drain in the air intake in front of the passenger side windshield isn't blocked. All this is covered in various posts already in the W220 S-Cass encyclopedia, and a minimal effort at a search would get you posts on problems encountered washing our cars and things to look out for.

2. I think tony1963 pretty well answered your second question.

·
Registered
96 and 08 911 turbos
2,988 Posts
why bother? Unless your engine is absolutely filthy, a little dirt dust and grease is not hurting anything. I doubt very much you are displaying the engine bay, so before you go and do damage to the car, just leave it be or use a spray bottle/brush/towels to clean it up.

·
Registered
MB S600, Volvo XC70
169 Posts
S-Class is well protected under the chassis and hood.
Not much parts exposed under the car except suspension of four corners, exhaust and rear end transmission to differential.

Under normal circumstance water won't introduce any trouble. Imagine driving on highway in a heavy rain huge amount of water will be sucked into the under hood through the fan/radiator.

On the otherside, not only for Benz, thinking about the shrinking effect for extreme hot parts meeting water, try to avoid wash after driving.
Inaddition, when car is old or in case of lack of maintenance, the seals of ignition coil, spark plug, SAM box... is broken, there will be electric issue when contacting with water.
So don't ask for trouble.

For me, I don't wash engine bay. With cloth, a soft wet wipe will work.
During winter, not so often though, I wash under car to get rid of salt and slush to reduce the chance of rust. Again, when car is cold.

Thanks.

Howard

·
Registered
S55 AMG
191 Posts
Of course its ok to wash your engine off with water.
As long as you dont get any in the fuse boxes, the ignition coils, the many sensors, the rest of the ignition system, oh and the suspension fluid may not be very happy if some water gets in there either.
I was once told that the biggest cause for suspension level sensor failure was the chassis wash that you get with drive through car washes, and people washing under the fenders with a hose pipe.

·
Banned
2003 Mercedes S430
806 Posts
You're not going to damage the suspension with washing the vehicle underneath. What do you think happens when you drive through rain?

·
Registered
16 Posts
1. Just how much "science" do you want in a question about washing a car? You haven't clearly stated what you concerns are. As with any car, you want to keep from soaking ignition components, and in a Benz or any other car with fuses under the hood, you don't want to soak the fuse panels (and in a Benz, the SAMs the fuse panels are attached to). On a W220 You want to be sure the drain in the air intake in front of the passenger side windshield isn't blocked. All this is covered in various posts already in the W220 S-Cass encyclopedia, and a minimal effort at a search would get you posts on problems encountered washing our cars and things to look out for.

2. I think tony1963 pretty well answered your second question.
While your help is always welcome I think you're wrong for agreeing with Tony1968 that the OP was being a "smarty pants". The guy said what I was thinking too...all these views with not one answer based on anything but speculation and opinion. (Happens a lot here) Not one answer based in on anything conclusive or "scientific". While I agree "scientific" wasn't a great choice of words I see no reason to agree with some redneck from Tennessee that the guys was being a smart ass by wanting his question answered with something besides uninformed opinions. Loose the big head Chief...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Being an avid pressure-washer myself, I have developed a series of usage-specific tutorials for a wide variety of applications. Note that my recommendations assume a 3500 gallon per minute flow rate, and a #3 medium fan spray tip. Here then, are my recommendations for pressure washing the underside of a 2000-2006 Mercedes Benz S-Class.

1) Squeeze pressure washer trigger and aim nozzle at underside of 2000-2006 Mercedes Benz S-Class
2) If parts begin flying off of the underside of 2000-2006 Mercedes Benz S-Class, squeeze trigger less.

You're welcome.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,979 Posts
While your help is always welcome I think you're wrong for agreeing with Tony1968 that the OP was being a "smarty pants". The guy said what I was thinking too...all these views with not one answer based on anything but speculation and opinion. (Happens a lot here) Not one answer based in on anything conclusive or "scientific". While I agree "scientific" wasn't a great choice of words I see no reason to agree with some redneck from Tennessee that the guys was being a smart ass by wanting his question answered with something besides uninformed opinions. Loose the big head Chief...
And I disagree with you. First, the new guy bypassed perfectly good answers to criticize folks on the forum for not answering "scientifically" a really off-beat question. Second, he had bypassed entire Detailing and Car Care forum. Third, he bypassed the Encyclopedia sticky, right at the top of the forum, with a title shouting "Start Here" - which discusses issues such as this in a section dealing with water in the car, flooding, etc - and goes into some depth about impact on SAMs. So not only has he criticized the members, he did so after failing to do even basic reading. He also bypassed the sticky on helpful hints for new guys.

That's a typical new guy stunt, and no, those of us (I'm far from the only one) who put a lot of hours into answering questions on this forum don't appreciate it. At least he wasn't told "STFF" or "RTFF."

Tony1963 was on the money, in my view - the demand for a "scientific" answer coupled with chastising members for not providing one in the first place didn't exactly engender an overwhelming desire to answer. Perhaps a better question would have elicited a better response; the question was not a model of clarity.

And +1 on Mike5215's response as well.

My response was as "scientific" - his word - as anyone is going to get responding to such a question, especially if they have decided to chastise the members because their responses weren't to his liking.

As to big heads - lose the chip on your shoulder. Who are you to be describing anyone as a redneck from Tennessee? Take a look at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/1388032-note-your-moderator-play-nice.html - we enforce it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts