Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that I was out of Washer fluid in my E63 the other day, so I poured a whole gallon into the reservoir, just to watch it pour onto the ground from somewhere under the car. Specifically, behind the passenger front tire. I can't even see this bottle. It appears that it has a hole in it? I was hoping for some advice before tearing into it. Anything helps....... Thanks!

~Rookie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Noodles, the only thing that I "know" at this point is that the pump and supply line work on a call for fluid. The washing unit spays perfectly. There isn't an overflow port or hose is there? I would just think if it get to full it pours out the top. I can't see anything but the top of the bottle without tearing into it. Anybody done this?

~Rookie

·
Registered
375 Posts
Do you lose the whole gallon or just a part of it? If it is like mine in my E350, there is a filler neck to the reservoir (where there is an O ring or a seal), then there is the reservoir itself with its various grommets, etc. Apparently the grommet that the pump plugs into is a favorite point of failure. Mine turned out to be the pump itself. I would lose all of the fluid so that the warning light on the dash would come on telling me to add. Are you getting a repeat warning light?

I had to get access by taking off the front passenger tire and removing the wheel bay coverings.

·
Purple Moderator
21,701 Posts
I do not know of an overflow. I have the headlight washers so it is the giant capacity.
Pretty sure you have a similar setup.
One year my lines froze up and like jimbo posted I had to go in via the wheel arch to
fix them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you lose the whole gallon or just a part of it? If it is like mine in my E350, there is a filler neck to the reservoir (where there is an O ring or a seal), then there is the reservoir itself with its various grommets, etc. Apparently the grommet that the pump plugs into is a favorite point of failure. Mine turned out to be the pump itself. I would lose all of the fluid so that the warning light on the dash would come on telling me to add. Are you getting a repeat warning light?

I had to get access by taking off the front passenger tire and removing the wheel bay coverings.
No warning light at all. Just no fluid squirting out when called to. Looks like I'm tearing into it. Thanks!

·
Purple Moderator
21,701 Posts
Once you pull the fender liner you will see all the plumbing and the pumps. An assistant is
helpful to activate the washers in the car while you inspect the plumbing and pumps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts