Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My left side windshield washer nozzle has stopped spewing fluid, which I've attributed to either the nozzle being clogged or the connector's curious habit of becoming disconnected when I drive up steep hills (which happens surprisingly often here in SF), or both.

I've noticed some notes recommending the nozzles be replaced in pairs, but does that hold true for the connectors? What about the tubing that connects to the pump?

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
Get yourself some new hose and replace the stuff that's there. There is a strong possibility that your existing hose is quite brittle by now and needs replacement. The elasticity of the new hose should keep the hose attached to the pump. If your nozzle is clogged the pressure is probably forcing the hose off the connectors.

A pin stuck into the nozzles should clear the passage.

If you look at your passenger sun visor you should see a pin stuck into the covering. That pin was put there just for that purpose.

·
Registered
1973 450 SL
1,126 Posts
This was here when I got the car. Couldn't figure it out so I asked my mechanic who was a Dealership mechanic at the time of the introduction of this car. Earlier ones had it as well.

The visors have been replaced since I got the car but I put the pin back in the same position as it was on the original. BTW, I have new OEM visors on order. Can't stand the look of that aftermarket crap.

Right or wrong, this is what I was advised.

Attachments

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
Wax gets in the nozzles, or possibly junk from the bottle, but only use something definitely smaller than the diameter of the hole in the nozzle to unclog it, otherwise you can damage the spray pattern. This is going to be smaller than most pins, a needle is better. And definitely replace the hose. It's not expensive aftermarket. Note how the hose is routed before you remove the old hoses. I put a cheap clear lawnmower fuel filter in line with my washer bottle outlet.

the individual nozzles are adjustable. There is a picture of the pattern in the shop manual of where the spray should go. Note than pre-86 cars have one nozzle per "assembly", and 86+ have two, heated. Note that 86+ nozzles are smaller in diameter. You can use the new parts on an older car, but "not original"; I think only two-holers are still available. I kept my old ones "just in case" but I installed the newer ones in the 380SL, which are definitely better, even unheated.

I saw a picture of a tool that was used to adjust the nozzles on a website catalog but was told that it wasn't available anymore. I made one just like it out of a collapsible radio antenna, some JB-Weld, and a tiny drill bit. Basically, you stick one end in the nozzle, and extend the antenna to the point on the windshield where the spray will hit. Moving the antenna will adjust the nozzle.

Alright, maybe I got a bit obsessed with them.

·
Registered
1987 560SL (L.Tonk) [92,700 miles]
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got some time to work on this, and the job was pretty hassle-free. The biggest pain was getting the new tubing threaded through all the zip-ties.

I broke the black plastic clip that holds the tube as it runs across the hood to the left side. EPC says A0009883378 (Clip, Hose to Engine Hood) but the picture looks different. I fudged it with some extra tubing shoved into one of the holes but likely won't hold for long.

Setting the nozzle aim was good fun -- lots of trial and error (and soaking of nearby objects).

Here's the spray pattern, btw.

I figured out why the thing stopped working in the first place -- looks like the metal bit that fits into the nozzle was just plain missing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts