Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered new washer tubing from ********** since both of mine had small cracks. Went to the Dealer first but the new universal tubing is black colored instead of clear. ID was 4.5mm which works fine. However, it appears that the OD is larger than the original since it looks like the wall is thicker. Thats not a real problem for the run from reservoir to the splitter valve. The problem comes in going from there to the individual nozzles. It is less flexible so it will not fit in the small tan clips on the hood portion and it seems to not be as flexible. Trying to close the hood caused the DS nozzle to flex to much and it broke off at the middle option under the hood. It is also causing a binding near the PS hood - fender area.

I don't have a way to measure the OD and I now have to replace the nozzle as well. Any instructions on replacing the nozzle?

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,824 Posts
Ordered new washer tubing from ********** since both of mine had small cracks. Went to the Dealer first but the new universal tubing is black colored instead of clear. ID was 4.5mm which works fine. However, it appears that the OD is larger than the original since it looks like the wall is thicker. Thats not a real problem for the run from reservoir to the splitter valve. The problem comes in going from there to the individual nozzles. It is less flexible so it will not fit in the small tan clips on the hood portion and it seems to not be as flexible. Trying to close the hood caused the DS nozzle to flex to much and it broke off at the middle option under the hood. It is also causing a binding near the PS hood - fender area.

I don't have a way to measure the OD and I now have to replace the nozzle as well. Any instructions on replacing the nozzle?
To remove the nozzle first unplug the heater wires and remove the hose. Then squeeze the 4 tangs on the underside of the hood. If your hose is old it will be best to just cut it and remove the hose on the bench. Usually you will just end up breaking the nozzle and having to replace.

Only genuine ugly black MB hose will fit. Aftermarket stuff is too thick. Also make sure when you order this stuff by the meter you get 4 meters as 1 piece instead of 4, 1 meter pieces. For some this need to be spelled out.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,198 Posts
I did it on mine with the black stuff, they couldn't believe I need 15ft of it b/c I have the healight wipers too. I'm thinking about going to the junkyard and getting nozzles off of either a newer benz or some other car that have a bitchin spray pattern.

Good luck!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only genuine ugly black MB hose will fit. Aftermarket stuff is too thick. Also make sure when you order this stuff by the meter you get 4 meters as 1 piece instead of 4, 1 meter pieces. For some this need to be spelled out.
Thanks. I guess this is another chance for me to have to pay money for some learning. As they say in the South "Bought Learning".

My MB store said they couldn't guarantee that the ordered tubing would come in a single length of 4 meters. That was another reason I didn't order it there since it's a Special Order and therefore non refundable. Silly I know but "The Rules are the Rules"

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did it on mine with the black stuff, they couldn't believe I need 15ft
Thanks. Yes 5 meters is supposed to do a whole setup. Since I don't have the headlight wipers I was only going to do 4 meters but might get the extra meter for a spare??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts