Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
01 C240 Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I just bought a c240 yesterday and want to wash, clay, and wax it.
My question is, after using the clay bar/quick detailer, do I have to rinse the car again before waxing?
Thanks

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Its a good idea to wash it down with just water and wipe it with a microfiber towel to take off any of the excess clay before moving on to the polish or wax. Sometimes the clay marks will show up under the wax or polish if you don't wash in-between.

·
Registered
2001 Corvette Z51
79 Posts
If you use our clay process, there is no reason to wash the vehicle again after clay. We use our Detail Spray as the lubricant for the clay.

Remember what the purpose of polish is. It's a CLEANER. If you don't currently use our polish, ask yourself what level of quality your current polish is if it can't even remove clay marks. We have polishes for both methods of application, via machine or hand.

Take a look at these videos, they'll really help:

Clay bar process:
Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detail Supplies - Clay Bar Part 1

Hand polishing:
Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detail Supplies - Hand Polishing Areas

Machine polishing:
Car Wax, Car Polish, Auto Detail Supplies - Machine Polish Part 1

·
Registered
01 C240 Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the replies. I dont have a buffer/polisher yet so I'm going to go straight to waxing, and I guess a quick rinse would help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you use our clay process, there is no reason to wash the vehicle again after clay. We use our Detail Spray as the lubricant for the clay.

Remember what the purpose of polish is. It's a CLEANER. If you don't currently use our polish, ask yourself what level of quality your current polish is if it can't even remove clay marks. We have polishes for both methods of application, via machine or hand.
Why would your clay and detail spray be any different from most others in that regard. If you’d said you don’t think washing – or some other method of paint cleaning – is necessary after claying, I’d disagree but respect your opinion with one exception. If a vehicle was in particularly nasty condition it should absolutely be cleaned again after clay or after polish if that step is taken.

As for the polish comment, I don’t know quite where you’re coming from. The poster was referring to bits of clay left behind. Even the worst polish would remove that.

I have no reason to doubt you make fine products, but you don’t really get respect by claiming ours is better than everything else every chance you get - and then some.

·
Registered
2008 S550 4matic
50 Posts
What's the purpose of claying a car - to remove paint overspray and embedded dirt so I can't imagine not washing the car after claying the car (just like I wouldn't consider not using clean water in the shower after using soap) and removing the dirt.

·
Registered
01 C240 Sport
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the purpose of claying a car - to remove paint overspray and embedded dirt so I can't imagine not washing the car after claying the car (just like I wouldn't consider not using clean water in the shower after using soap) and removing the dirt.
yeah it just made sense to me. anyways, this is the first time I've used clay on any car and it turned out wonderfully

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2001 Corvette Z51
79 Posts
I think I should have said it depends on the amount of dirt/contaminants on the car. If the car has been maintained well then a wash isn't necessary but if you've put a serious amount of miles on your vehicle since the last detail then obviously there will be a huge amount of contamination on the vehicle.

Washing after clay isn't necessary, but isn't harmful either.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
I think I should have said it depends on the amount of dirt/contaminants on the car. If the car has been maintained well then a wash isn't necessary but if you've put a serious amount of miles on your vehicle since the last detail then obviously there will be a huge amount of contamination on the vehicle.

Washing after clay isn't necessary, but isn't harmful either.
Wow. I made this exact comment in another thread and got bitched out.

·
Banned
97'C280
3,184 Posts
bi-weekly maintenance

This is what I do to mine on a bi-weekly basis between full details to keep the paint looking fresh. :thumbsup: ..in this order. I plan to incorporate some Adam's products in the future to test those out.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts