Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering building a track car and was wondering what the chances are of coming up with the components to build a stick m119 car. Were any of the v8s available with a stick (SLs, sedans, )?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Nope. I contend there hasn't been a Mercedes V8 stick shift, in a production car, since the 70s and they were rare - all 116 motors, 3.5 liters - I've seem them in the 111 coupes (I've owned two), 109 sedans and 107 roadsters. The transmission was called G7627A and it came as 4 speed or 5 speed. I believe the closest you will come in a 124 is a Euro six - either 3.0 or perhaps some 3.2s. Great project though - just tough.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
The manual tranny that MB made couldn't handle the torque of the V8. What could help you, though, is that my AMG SL has the M117 V8 and it's hooked up to a Getrag 265 manual tranny.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Get the pedals out of a stickshift 300E/E320, get a Tremec T56 transmission out of a Mustang or Viper (there's a lot in the used Mustang parts market), have a custom bellhousing made or modified and then you'll have to figure something out for a flywheel, clutch fork, and cable or hydraulic system for the pedal. The only thing I'm not sure of is where the shifter will come up through the floor. Could be expensive and time consuming, but I've driven that tranny behind a 600RWHP monster and it was beautiful.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
There's also the stick shift 300SLs from 1990 to 1993. I had one of these and was never pleased with it (or the rear axle ratio) but I believe (once heard) that it's the same transmission as a 5 speed Porsche 928 which had lots of torque. Certainly they are both dog leg 5 speeds that feel like they belong in a truck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
There's also the stick shift 300SLs from 1990 to 1993. I had one of these and was never pleased with it (or the rear axle ratio) but I believe (once heard) that it's the same transmission as a 5 speed Porsche 928 which had lots of torque. Certainly they are both dog leg 5 speeds that feel like they belong in a truck.
I thought the 928 had a transaxle?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I guess it does, but also a transmisssion, either a 5 speed manual or a 4 speed automatic, which is actually a Mercedes 722.3.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the reality check and the suggestions. I'll do some more research on the options you've provided. It sure would be a fun car on the track! Or the street for that matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts