Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what it is/means/etc?
I have never seen anything like it. It was right under the cap where you fill the oil on his Mercedes ML500. It was very soft- not solid at all, but could be scraped out easily, and had the same color as peanut butter. We scraped out as much as we could get to.

We used my oil extractor to pull out the oil, and the old looked fine. This was just on the inside of the oil fill cap and a little lower where it screws down into. Below that is a grate that does not let large items fall though.

Any thoughts?
http://images31.fotki.com/v1095/photos/4/41932/209087/photooil1-vi.jpg
http://images35.fotki.com/v1130/photos/4/41932/209087/photooil2-vi.jpg
http://images34.fotki.com/v1146/photos/4/41932/209087/photooil3-vi.jpg
http://images33.fotki.com/v1138/photos/4/41932/209087/photooil4-vi.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Very, very common in cold climates with a vehicle driven only short distances. Normal water accumulation in the engine isn't able to evaporate off because the vehicle isn't given an opportunity to warm up adequately. A nice long drive every once in a while might keep it at bay. This is one scenario. There are others that I'm less familiar with.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
I have the same thing. I think it's a mixture of oil and moisture. Do you guys live in a cold climate area? The winter has been harsh where I live and some of the driving I've been doing hasn't allowed the engine to fully reach operating temperature, so I think that's why mine has it.

Someone on another forum said if you really want to know if it's water and oil scoop some of it and heat it on some old pan you wouldn't mind throwing away and if it separates it could be water and oil. I'd try it but I don't have any throw away pans.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Mmmmmm! Is that Skippy or Jiffy? I'm partial to Jiffy actually. Jiffy of course being moisture and Mobil One. Take that ML for a nice long drive.

Sincerely breaking out the Wonder Bread,
Eric

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
OK, from my experience I would say:

1, Blown head gasket.
2, Blown head gasket.
3, Blown head gasket.

Get my drift?;)

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the truck. Like it's been pointed out before, moisture/oil mix will cause that if vehicle is driven rarely or short distances only. It happens in all climates but mostly in colder weather, and it's not unique to MBs. Bimmers, VWs and even the Japanese ones do it also. And, no you don't have a blown head gasket!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
Bet if you do an oil change you will find more, might want to watch the exhaust for white smoke and keep an eye on the cooant level.
Read what he said again:
We used my oil extractor to pull out the oil, and the old looked fine. This was just on the inside of the oil fill cap and a little lower where it screws down into. Below that is a grate that does not let large items fall though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the truck. Like it's been pointed out before, moisture/oil mix will cause that if vehicle is driven rarely or short distances only. It happens in all climates but mostly in colder weather, and it's not unique to MBs. Bimmers, VWs and even the Japanese ones do it also. And, no you don't have a blown head gasket!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keep up with your cars and it wont do it. its probably a breather tube thats cloged. my bmw has 250000 miles on it and has NEVER gotten that [email protected] in it. i lived in Main most of the time that iv had that car. its my to work and back car. it gets driven maybee 3 miles a day, 1.5 there 1.5 back, never get the foam in that one and my 430 doesnt do it either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The stuff in your pictures is formed from condensation in your crank case due to short trips that do not fully being engine oil up to temp. Just wipe it away and make sure you drive the car long enough to bring the oil up to temp and it will not form in the future.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Looks like we have some anger management problems here!!!

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
keep up with your cars and it wont do it. its probably a breather tube thats cloged. my bmw has 250000 miles on it and has NEVER gotten that [email protected] in it. i lived in Main most of the time that iv had that car. its my to work and back car. it gets driven maybee 3 miles a day, 1.5 there 1.5 back, never get the foam in that one and my 430 doesnt do it either.
You must be running mostly at operating temps then, otherwise you'd see that PB stuff also. It's pure chemistry and physics in nature. Of course, if you also change your oil regularly at 3-5K, the oil/moisture mixture chemistry may not have enough time to foam. What's your situation?

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Skippy, Jiff, Peter pan

This is only my opinion as I am a N.I.A.S.E. certified master technician with 30 years experience.. I am formally a Nevada state emmisions inspector.. When Granny would bring the domestic, european or japanese car in, the first thing I would do is pop the oil cap and look for that magic mixture. This was in VEGAS where things get real hot. If present, I would send one of my guys to take Grannys car for a good LONG hard drive in the desert. This not only would take care of condensation/moisture in oil but, decarbon motor to some degree, (ya know blow it out?) and get O2s and Cats nice and hot so vehicle would pass 4 gas inspection with no problem...
Now for the rest of em who were not seniors, I had a special batch of vasoline to help with that repair bill..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts