Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Warranty Question??

1067 Views 8 Replies 0 Participants Last post by  JJ
G
Do you guys think that my warranty will be voided<br>if I replace the stock muffler to an aftermarket<br>exhaust system ? Up to what extent is the warranty <br>voided ?<p>Thanks.<p>Benny
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nope no warranty void there. they only thing the dealer can try to get you for is anthing to do with the Exhaust system. ie O2 Sensor. I have done some aftermarket stuff on my car and some research on what they can exclude on the warranty and the Law states they can only void the warranty if the Aftermarket item you replaced caused the damage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, your warranty will be voided but only with regards to the exhaust. All other items/parts should still be under warranty.<p>Mark430<br>: Do you guys think that my warranty will be voided<br>if I replace the stock muffler to an aftermarket<br>exhaust system ? Up to what extent is the warranty <br>voided ?<p>Thanks.<p>Benny<p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HapaHaole, thanks for the clarification..(more)

Another one of my concerns is if I add say a Brabus exhaust, would the car pass the sniff test? I live in California and it's pretty strict down here.<br>I once had a 89 BMW 325 and one day I cleaned the exhaust and brought it to the inspection station. I guess it hadn't dried up completely so I failed the <br>emissions test. They were saying there was too much smoke coming out of the car!! I finally realized what had happened and since then became very careful<br>of what I put/do to my car.<p>Thanks<p>Benny<p>: Nope no warranty void there. they only thing the dealer can try to get you for is anthing to do with the Exhaust system. ie O2 Sensor. I have done some aftermarket stuff on my car and some research on what they can exclude on the warranty and the Law states they can only void the warranty if the Aftermarket item you replaced caused the damage.<p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Exhaust System

By Law the Cat is the part where the emissions are cleaned out of. the muffler is to quiet down the emissions comming from your engine. If you are really picky on this you can find a CARB approved Exaust and go from there. 99% of all CAT-Back Exaust system do pass the Smog check.. Here in california.<p>FYI I had a '99 BMW M3 with a Dinan CAT-Back Exhaust and It passed the smog check with flying colors. Just not the sound check hehe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot !!

: By Law the Cat is the part where the emissions are cleaned out of. the muffler is to quiet down the emissions comming from your engine. If you are really picky on this you can find a CARB approved Exaust and go from there. 99% of all CAT-Back Exaust system do pass the Smog check.. Here in california.<p>FYI I had a '99 BMW M3 with a Dinan CAT-Back Exhaust and It passed the smog check with flying colors. Just not the sound check hehe<p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: HapaHaole, thanks for the clarification..(more)

: Another one of my concerns is if I add say a Brabus exhaust, would the car pass the sniff test? I live in California and it's pretty strict down here.<br>I once had a 89 BMW 325 and one day I cleaned the exhaust and brought it to the inspection station. I guess it hadn't dried up completely so I failed the <br>emissions test. They were saying there was too much smoke coming out of the car!! I finally realized what had happened and since then became very careful<br>of what I put/do to my car.<p>Thanks<p>Benny<p>: Nope no warranty void there. they only thing the dealer can try to get you for is anthing to do with the Exhaust system. ie O2 Sensor. I have done some aftermarket stuff on my car and some research on what they can exclude on the warranty and the Law states they can only void the warranty if the Aftermarket item you replaced caused the damage.<p><p>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Opps. Again

Why you failed is because you cleaned it with corrosive materials that when heated it created a toxic fume so It will not pass at all.. so next time just go to a shop where they post "No Pass Free Re-Check" if you feel unsure of the exhaust. <br>Also dont clean the exhaust at all.. (unless it is really old and get it replaced)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Thanks a lot !!

: : By Law the Cat is the part where the emissions are cleaned out of. the muffler is to quiet down the emissions comming from your engine. If you are really picky on this you can find a CARB approved Exaust and go from there. 99% of all CAT-Back Exaust system do pass the Smog check.. Here in california.<p>FYI I had a '99 BMW M3 with a Dinan CAT-Back Exhaust and It passed the smog check with flying colors. Just not the sound check hehe<p><p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.