Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SL - 2002 SL500 Silver Arrow Edition
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my 2004 E500 4matic wagon coming next week, I'm wanting to find a good warranty to cover it over the next 2-3 years. I got burned with age and use related repairs on my 2003 X5 after opting out of an extended factory warranty, and don't want to go through that with this MB. Given it has airmatic and the funky electronic brakes, along with plenty of other fragile, expensive items, I imagine spending 1-2k on a warranty would likely pay for itself and help with resale. $100 deductible sound reasonable enough. Sure beats a $3000 bill for an air suspension pump or other BS bill.
My questions.

Anyone here purchased an extended warranty for their MB?

If so, where, what is covered, and about how much was it?

This car only has 47k on it, so I imagine it will be eligible for something.

I budgeted this in when purchasing the car... Its the only way I could justify it, and not drive this thing in constant fear.

·
Registered
2011 E550 4MATIC and 2006 CLK350
81 Posts
Question is did you but it from a MB Dealer or a private person/ If you bought it from a MB Dealer and the car was MB Certified, you could have gotten another 3 years up to 100k miles (and yes guys I know the first year is included and you pay for the additional two years).

If you bought it from a private person, you might have to go looking on your own for a warranty and for that you might want to check with your local MB Dealer Service Advisors to see which After Market warranty is probably the best. My experience with After Market warranties has not been so good that is why I pay the premium and buy cars from the MB Dealer and get the MB Warranty which covers everything under the sun and zero deductible.

Just my two cents (a few years ago I bought my wife a 2001 SL500 and got the after market warranty from the seller. The top would not retract properly and the warranty refused to cover it as it did not cover Convertible tops, but the car is and still is a convertible. You go figure that).

·
Registered
2014 E 350 4 Matic
164 Posts
You will not buy an aftermarket warranty for 1-2K believe me - I causally checked with my dealer (mine is still in warranty so qualifies for MB warranty) and they wanted over 5K - third party warranties run 4K or so - not worth it as far as I/m concerned -

Also, your SBC brakes have an extended warranty for 10 years from original service date. Personally, I would never pay for an extended warranty - these companies Mercedes included aren't selling these things to lose money - sure you might get burned with a big repair but chances are you won't - it's not like having your house burning down. Obviously this is just one man's opinion.

Steve

·
Registered
2006 E350
67 Posts
A year ago I bought a 2006 E350. It had 37,000 mile on it. It cost me $2,213.15 to add two years on top of the Pre Owned Cert 1 year warranty that came with it. That's an MB warranty from the MB Dealer.

·
Registered
2014 E 350 4 Matic
164 Posts
A year ago I bought a 2006 E350. It had 37,000 mile on it. It cost me $2,213.15 to add two years on top of the Pre Owned Cert 1 year warranty that came with it. That's an MB warranty from the MB Dealer.

This man was talking about a 500 4matic which is what I have - you will not buy a warranty for 2200 for that car. MB factory warranty was over $5500 for an additional, I believe 4 or 5 years. I am a low mileage driver so all I wanted was warranty to 76 or 80K miles but wanted the time - that was 5500 or more.

Steve

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
Stay away from any and all aftermarket warranties. Many are scams, many go bust and most do not pay willingly for any large items. many are under investigation by various state attorney generals offices. These are truely not warranties but in fact insurane policies that are sold as "warranties" to avoid the state insurance commissions scrutiny, rules and regulations.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts