Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I posted a couple weeks ago about my new used SLK32 having problems appearing to be transmission failure. I was worried that the warranty had expired so I afraid to take it in. Well, I finally took it in today and they said that the warranty is good until May 4! I'm so glad because I had just spent all of my money on this car and would not be able to pay for a transmission replacement.

Anyway, is there anything that I should look for now so I can get repairs under warranty? I bring the car in to their sevice department tomorrow for diagnostics and I'm leaving on Monday for a week on business. If there are any potential problem areas I definitely want to discover them now and not the day after my warranty expires!

Also, does Mercedes usually not give loaners when they service their cars under warranty? The service manager did not offer me a loaner. He offered a ride to my house but not a loaner. My other two cars are a Lexus and Infiniti and both of those dealers always gave loaners.

Thanks!

·
Registered
08 135 vert 6mt-formerly 08 CLK 350-formerly 01 SLK 6MT
150 Posts
Have them adjust/lubricate the top one last time especially if you have noticed any increased wind noise when the top is up.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
check interior for peeling.

My MB dealer gives loaners if you book about 1 week in advance. But each dealer is different. Mine wants repetitive business.

·
Registered
2001 SLK320, 2001 C320
2,267 Posts
Most dealers won't give you a loaner for scheduled maintance. They will give you a loaner if the car is in for warranty repairs. (They even gave us a loaner for a goodwill out-of-warranty repair, no charge for the loaner, no cost for repairs.)

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
page62 said:
Most dealers won't give you a loaner for scheduled maintance. They will give you a loaner if the car is in for warranty repairs. (They even gave us a loaner for a goodwill out-of-warranty repair, no charge for the loaner, no cost for repairs.)
Never had an issue about getting a loaner regardless of the reason for taking it in. Dropping it off for service A, service B, warranty repair, whatever. Loaner car is provided. This has been the case with both of the dealerships I have taken my car to. If you dealer is different I would start looking for a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the service manager just called and said that they would need the car for the next five days. He did not offer me a loaner car. I think that that is poor service. This is my first Mercedes and my experience so far has not been great. I have never had a problem with my Lexus. The one time it needed work Lexus gave me a brand new car as a loaner. There are 3 Mercedes dealers in my general area and I think that I'll try a different one next time.

BTW, he said that they are going to repair some pulleys (I think, I can't really remember) and try and fix the transmission problem. He said the fluid was low and he's not sure if there was damage or not and they would see how it runs after they repair a few parts. My warranty expires next friday and I'm kind of worried that they completely fix the problem and it will reappear after my warranty expires.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
813 Posts
UWGradSLK32 said:
My warranty expires next friday and I'm kind of worried that they completely fix the problem and it will reappear after my warranty expires.
I may be wrong here, but in all other cases I know of, ANY dealer/reputable shop repair is covered by it's own individual warranty. Usually 12 mo's. Just keep good records of your own as to dates works was done, etc. ;)

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
UWGradSLK32 said:
BTW, he said that they are going to repair some pulleys (I think, I can't really remember) and try and fix the transmission problem. He said the fluid was low and he's not sure if there was damage or not and they would see how it runs after they repair a few parts. My warranty expires next friday and I'm kind of worried that they completely fix the problem and it will reappear after my warranty expires.
Did you ask about a loaner ? Or did you expect them to offer you one ?

If they don't repair transmission properly - you still cover even after warranty expires as long as your complain noted while warranty was in effect

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just worried that something else might have been damaged and it would be hard to prove it was related. I guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

No, I didn't ask because he asked if I needed somebody to give me a ride back to my house and that kind of threw me. At the time I was thinking that it might not be normal to give loaners, but the more I thought about it and asked around it seems like its very abnormal to NOT give a loaner for something like this. The one time I had a problem with my Lexus the dealer gave me a brand new SUV as a loaner. They didn't have any of their regular loaners so they took a vehicle right off the showroom floor without a second thought. I was very impressed with their customer service.

Should I go back to the same dealer if I need service again because they know the car now or is it OK to go to a different one? I really don't want to go back to this guy again. He was not at all polite when he called to update me on the car and he even sounded annoyed when I asked if they were going to look at the CD changer.

·
Registered
08 135 vert 6mt-formerly 08 CLK 350-formerly 01 SLK 6MT
150 Posts
Yes, call them back and request a loaner. If they won't then make this the last time you go to this dealer and send a note to either MB corporate or the district supervisor and let them know of your "experience". During the 6 years I have been reading this forum, this would be the first refusal of a loaner I can remember.

Is your transmission AT or MT?

·
Registered
2000 SLK230
4 Posts
If the service department won't offer you a loaner, check with your salesman. They will often give you a car to drive... especially if you might be in the market for another Benz anytime soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts