Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting more and more frequent (but still pretty intermittent) popups saying ABS, BAS and ESP are disabled, visit workshop. (I think those are the right acronyms anyway). Two nice lights go on in the lower left of the dash as well.

I can attest to the fact that ABS and traction control are in fact disabled once these lights come on. Taking it in for a routine oil change next week (yeah, I'm that lazy), and going to ask the mechanic (indy) to give it a look - but was hoping you guys might know what causes this or at least some things to look for so I don't go over-replacing parts or similar on this issue.

Seems to pop up randomly, if I had to find any kind of correlation I'd blame it on heat... either parking on blacktop for awhile, or aggressive braking, but honestly I think I'm stretching it and just looking for something.Appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
With those symptoms, 95%+ of the time it's the brake light switch...and there is always that pesky "search" function. ;)

Source the part at the dealer, the aftermarket ones aren't very good. It's a bit cramped under the dash, but it is otherwise a basic DIY.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, I'll give the brake light switch a go. I knew that was a common problem with these cars as they age but didn't realize that was the error they threw.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
.....but didn't realize that was the error they threw.
Yes... the brake switch on your W208 CLK has 2 pairs of output contacts. One pair (normally-open) is for the stop lights. The other pair (normally-closed) is used for the ABS system. So this is why the fault is a tad confusing.

If you DIY don't forget to pull the shaft open before fitting, as discussed in the thread above. It will self-adjust.

Note to any W209 owners reading this thread:

You do not have a brake switch under your brake pedal to achieve this function. The ESP brake pressure sensor (B34) located under the brake fluid reservoir does that job.

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part replaced. As the thread said, this is about as easy as it gets.

No errors for the last couple of days, unfortunately this was one of those intermittent errors so I won't really know if it's fixed for awhile.

Thanks for the guidance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts