1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11/02 ML320
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow ml drivers,

This is my first post on this great forum, so go easy on me :surrender:

We just bought a 11/02 ml320 with 144000kms on the clock.
It drove great for the first 2 days, we were very happy with the way it drives/runs/feels/looks.

The next day we go to start the car, we get the dash lights lighting up but the car will not turn over.
So the (used car) dealer finds out the battery is flat and fits another battery.
We have a brand new battery installed with a charge indicator.

I noticed the battery has drainned itself (according to the charge indicator)to under 50% over night. :eek:
I installed another battery (negitve off first positive on first im 99% this battery isnt an issue) to get the car back to the dealer but this is where the problems start...
We get half way to the dealer, the battery light comes on, then a few seconds later, the bas/esp light, the ETS light, the ABS light, the srs light and the airbag off light all come on together, then the brake light (on the cluster) starts flashing.
The electric windows stop working, the air con stops and starts working and the auto window wipers decide to do one swipe (even though the auto setting wasn't selected).
We have a warning beep, beeping and the car stops accelerating. It didn't stall but would not accelerate at all.
When we got to the dealer (towed) he told us it's all related to the charging system problem. It seems like an awful lot to go wrong at the same time dosn't it?

Anyone have any advice on this issue? Could it all stem from a simple (or not so simple) charging system fault?

Thanks for reading, your advice and/or opinion on the matter is much apreciated.

-Chris

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
With Mercedes Benz an under-voltage situation can affect every electrical part of the car and usually does.

·
Registered
11/02 ML320
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the speedy responses guy's much apreciated.
I'll take my multi metre with me when i pick it up and check the alt charging voltage.

Do you think the battery drainning issue could also be related to the alternator? A leaking diode or something along them lines?
I'll hopefully get a call from the dealer tommorrow. I'll post back asap with their findings.

This is my first benz, I owend an 96 toyota soarer (aka lexus sc400), that car was a great ride but had suspention and electrical issues.
I hope I haven't bought into the same type of problems (very expensive).

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,104 Posts
Thanks for the speedy responses guy's much apreciated.
I'll take my multi metre with me when i pick it up and check the alt charging voltage.

Do you think the battery drainning issue could also be related to the alternator? A leaking diode or something along them lines?
I'll hopefully get a call from the dealer tommorrow. I'll post back asap with their findings.

This is my first benz, I owend an 96 toyota soarer (aka lexus sc400), that car was a great ride but had suspention and electrical issues.
I hope I haven't bought into the same type of problems (very expensive).

Cheers guys :thumbsup:
From what you have told us, it doesn't appear to be a drain (for the moment). The alternator is probably not providing enough current to charge the battery and run consumables while driving.

When you get there, take a voltage reading at the battery w/o the engine running, then take another with the eng. running with the headlights , radio, etc. on and it should be above 13.5v. Don't leave the dealer until you are satisfied.

·
Registered
11/02 ML320
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well we have got the car back, the problem was the altenator.
It has been replaced and everything now seems fine in this regard however, the drivers side front door, is now doing what i think you guys are calling "machine gunning".

Instead of starting another thread, I thought i'll ask in this one, were exactly do you spray the wd40 and should i even bother trying this before taking it back to the dealer.

The drivers door unlocks using the remote fine but wont lock (it will go: down, up, down, up and stay up) so i have to use the key, this locks it fine.

Thanks for your help guys, I can see me becoming a regular on this forum while i own this car.
I don't know if thats good or bad lol.

Edit: My wife has just told me it worked fine on the last drive so it's intermittent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello fellow ml drivers,

This is my first post on this great forum, so go easy on me :surrender:

We just bought a 11/02 ml320 with 144000kms on the clock.
It drove great for the first 2 days, we were very happy with the way it drives/runs/feels/looks.

The next day we go to start the car, we get the dash lights lighting up but the car will not turn over.
So the (used car) dealer finds out the battery is flat and fits another battery.
We have a brand new battery installed with a charge indicator.

I noticed the battery has drainned itself (according to the charge indicator)to under 50% over night. :eek:
I installed another battery (negitve off first positive on first im 99% this battery isnt an issue) to get the car back to the dealer but this is where the problems start...
We get half way to the dealer, the battery light comes on, then a few seconds later, the bas/esp light, the ETS light, the ABS light, the srs light and the airbag off light all come on together, then the brake light (on the cluster) starts flashing.
The electric windows stop working, the air con stops and starts working and the auto window wipers decide to do one swipe (even though the auto setting wasn't selected).
We have a warning beep, beeping and the car stops accelerating. It didn't stall but would not accelerate at all.
When we got to the dealer (towed) he told us it's all related to the charging system problem. It seems like an awful lot to go wrong at the same time dosn't it?

Anyone have any advice on this issue? Could it all stem from a simple (or not so simple) charging system fault?

Thanks for reading, your advice and/or opinion on the matter is much apreciated.

-Chris
I've been having these issues for a couple of months - dashboard like a Christmas tree... my 'best' score was 7 faults at the same time... my battery wasn't holding charge so that was my first 'swap' (from my van as it has the same size ;-) but although the battery has helped, I've still got a full set of faults including "under voltage" and "alternator/battery" so I'm guessing the alternator is next on the list!

bl**dy car! (I thought I'd treat myself to a Merc & I don't like the taste of lemons!)

·
Registered
mercedes benz c230 1998
22 Posts
Im having that problems

Im very concerned beacuse im having that problems, and im ilready change the alternator!I already install a new one,but some days later tha car starts with the same problems!! I need help!!!!!!please!!!!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
If by "the same problems", you mean no start due to flat battery, you could have an electrical fault causing battery drain. Check that your kid hasn't dropped a penny into the 12 V outlet. (It has happened.) If you can't find the short circuit, disconnect the ground cable when you park. Then plan a visit to your friendly workshop.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts