What changes would you like to see on out site

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes Benz 107 SL SLC Roadster Information Home Page

Here on our new Subframe recall page we will enlighten you to the hazards of your subframe and offer you solutions to ensure your safely... Don't ignore the issue it could be catastrophic!!!

Recall Page
Mercedes Benz 107 SL SLC Roadster Subframe Recall Page

We have made tremendous moves forward on our website over the last few months and we will continue our effort to be the best resource on the net for your MB 107
Your coments/feedback and more importantly your help especially in pictoral repair articles we can add to our site for everyones benefit. If you have info you would like to contribute please email us here or throught the link at the bottom of our home page.

Thanks and enjoy!!! Keith

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Your coments/feedback and more importantly your help especially in pictoral repair articles we can add to our site for everyones benefit.
Um. Wouldn't this question be more useful to you if you asked, oh, I don't know, maybe... the people who are on your site?

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Dude, it's not a forum. It's a resource page posted by an individual.
I'm aware of that. I'd never even heard of the place, what value would there be to him in getting my feedback when I've seen the site once, for a total of about 30 seconds? If he posted it on his site - the site he's trying to get feedback on - he'd get responses from his audience, instead of random stuff from people who may or may not have any idea about his site.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,839 Posts
^^ I'm surprised you hadn't seen that site, Scott. It's posted up in Dig's 'Interesting Links' sticky, and has been background referenced on several occasions. I guess maybe in addition to feedback, he's also spotlighting the resource for those unfamiliar....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys I'm totally sorry for the poll on this site, I have been trying to pull it since the moment it was posted... I didnt realize you cant get to it once you post it, I have a email into Benzworld and will eliminate it asap,,, we just would like feedback on our site since we have been putting endless hours in lately to improve it... thanks to all who use it!!! Keith

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Hey guys I'm totally sorry for the poll on this site
OK, obviously I'm off on my communication, or putting out a tone that I don't intend.

I don't think anyone here is upset that you posted it. I know I'm certainly not. I'm confused, because I don't know why you'd be asking here instead of there, where your audience is, but I'm not upset. Leave the thing, apparently there are people here who have heard of it, and I'm definitely not the last word here. Or, really, pretty much anywhere. I'm not just shy about posting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mercedes Benz 107 SL SLC Roadster Information Home Page

Here on our new Subframe recall page we will enlighten you to the hazards of your subframe and offer you solutions to ensure your safely... Don't ignore the issue it could be catastrophic!!!

Recall Page
Mercedes Benz 107 SL SLC Roadster Subframe Recall Page

We have made tremendous moves forward on our website over the last few months and we will continue our effort to be the best resource on the net for your MB 107
Your coments/feedback and more importantly your help especially in pictoral repair articles we can add to our site for everyones benefit. If you have info you would like to contribute please email us here or throught the link at the bottom of our home page.

Thanks and enjoy!!! Keith
I read this article and wondered if anyone in the forum has seen the recall or has had their sub frames inspected by MB and it replaced based on the recall? Is the recall still in effect?

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I read this article and wondered if anyone in the forum has seen the recall or has had their sub frames inspected by MB and it replaced based on the recall? Is the recall still in effect?
The recall is still in effect, and most MB dealerships will honor it. If it hasn't been fixed before, they'll weld little tabs onto it to reinforce it. They usually remove the subframe to do it, so they'll charge you for the parts that aren't covered by the recall (but not the labor - that is covered). It's a great way to get your front suspension rebuilt for just the cost of parts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The recall is still in effect, and most MB dealerships will honor it. If it hasn't been fixed before, they'll weld little tabs onto it to reinforce it. They usually remove the subframe to do it, so they'll charge you for the parts that aren't covered by the recall (but not the labor - that is covered). It's a great way to get your front suspension rebuilt for just the cost of parts.

Thanks Scott,

I don't know the history of the car. Is there a way to get under the car and check to see if the repair has been done before? Is a MB dealership able to check their records using the VIN to see if the work was done by a prior owner.

Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mercedes does honor it still but some dealerships will say no... don"t take no for an answer. they can also check to see if its been done by your vin#... or you can check yourself by looking where the rear of the control arms bolt into the subframe, you will see added gussets welded on.. look at the pictures at the bottom of our subframe recall page. Keith

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mercedes does honor it still but some dealerships will say no... don"t take no for an answer. they can also check to see if its been done by your vin#... or you can check yourself by looking where the rear of the control arms bolt into the subframe, you will see added gussets welded on.. look at the pictures at the bottom of our subframe recall page. Keith
Thanks for the info.

tom

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
you can check yourself by looking where the rear of the control arms bolt into the subframe, you will see added gussets welded on..
Some day I'm going to get mine fixed.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Get the thing fixed because it will crack as mine did. Then you'll go the the ind't shop and they'll give you the great news, especially with a repair bill of 2800$. That's what happened to me. I even crawled under the car an saw the crack it was real small on the back side of the control arm. I brought it to the dealer and was nervous because the car had been in an accident and was imported from germany. Luckily for me the dealer hooked me up, but it still was pretty damned expensive to have all the work done including motor mounts, tranny mounts, shifter bushing, and new bushing and bolts for the control arms, which ran the cost up like 400$ a side, but because I'm going to keep the car I feel comfortable with the decision. After everything was said and done I was out 1300$, but now I can hit a turn doing 80mph and not worry about dropping the control arm.

It is going to end up costing you money for the work you'll want to have done while accessable. Good luck and this is definitely not one to be reacitive about.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Went to the dealer today and the service manager checked "NetStar" and stated that the 1979 450 SL had its cracked front axle carrier repaired in 1994 under a 03-Warranty. Is the front axle carrier also called a subframe?

Tom

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Is the front axle carrier also called a subframe?
Yup. And I went to the dealer today - the one that doesn't work on anything older than 1985 - and the service writer jumped at the chance to schedule it. Monday after next she'll be up on the lift at the dealership getting her bottom-side poked by one of their mechanics.

It may have helped that the parts department had set up that account for me. He started by asking for the VIN and my account came up when he entered it. He asked if I was a business, I told him no, I just had a couple of them and bought a lot of parts there. He seemed impressed and started asking when I'd like to bring the car in. <shrug> Whatever works.

It also may have helped that I had a bag of parts in my hand, all with the MB holographic seal on them. I've found they're much more friendly when they know this is just the latest of many trips to the dealership.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yes it is true... the front axel carrier is the same thing (which is what it is called in Mercedes repair bullitin for the recall)... it states that at the very top of my subframe recall page...

as stated before don't take no for an answer... they are still honoring...
Keith

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Scott, did you get this fixed on my car? Or is this something that I should have checked.
I haven't even had mine looked at, so I don't know if it's an issue on yours or not. You'd have to go to a MB dealer in Vegas or Salt Lake to get it checked. You could try calling them and asking their service department to run a VMI with the VIN, but I don't know if they would. Definitely don't try it with Fletcher Jones. Don't buy parts from there, either.

I did finally (over a year later) make an appointment for mine. It's supposed to be in tomorrow morning, bright and early. I figure if it's made it all these years, chances are it's going to last a while longer.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts