Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WARNING........for those who decide to change the springs in their's car...things to consider......

<br>
1) The spring does not lower your's car that much. The spring pad is what determ the hieght that lower your car. So alway buy the lowest pad size, have it ready to install with the springs. Or you won't be happy with the ride hieght. They will charge you the same price as to install the spring to install the pads later on.<br>
<br>
2) Alignment: Dealer will NOT be able to alignment your car back to MFG spec. even if they told you that they used the alignment SCREW. Why? Because you have drop your car too low. The alignment screw only good if you have less then 1 degree negative camber. Most spring drop your car more then 1 inch (my SLk 1in.= to 1.50 degree negative camber). There's only two way to get your alignment back to MFG spec. is to install CAMBER KITS. The cost is $$$$$. The second way is, to find an alignment shop that have machines and tools that use to do alignment the old way. Which is to BENT the parts. Today, this machines and tools are still to bent back the car FRAME after an accident. I had my SLK 230 'sport' alignment this way because there were no camber kit made yet. It costed me $350 for the alignment but the tire wear were 100% even on all four tires. I'm telling everyone this because i don't want anyone to go through of what i went through and also save them $$$$$.<br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Linh....I bought some Neuspeed springs for my SLK.....

....after I get a first alignment done the 'old' way, (bending as you describe) will the dealer then be able to make future alignments with the screws since the parts are now bent??? Thanx.<br> <br> I am asking this here because I assume the same Q&A would apply to a CLK.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Hey Linh....I bought some Neuspeed springs for my SLK.....

Hey Pjozefiak...i have a clk and i wanted to put in a new dash kit...where did u get ur carbon fiber interior kit?...do they have some avaiable for the clk?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry...i don't know,but i will find out for you. I know most of the bending is in the JOINT so ....

<br> i think that the dealer still be able to do alignment with the screw to a degree. But if you put back your STOCK spring and pad. That my friend, you would have to bring it back to have the parts bend back to orignal spec.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there is one on the planet you'll find it at....

....ToraSport in Costa Mesa, Cali. If they don't make one, they'll find one for you I bet. Here's mine....<br> <br> ToraSport can be reached at (310)-451-2133. The owners are Steven and Rose Miller (Rose usually answers the phone). They have no website :( . My kit was 300 bones. Paul

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do not want it back to spec! Just close so that you gain the extra performance (more)

You benefit from this extra negative camber. With the adjustment screws the alignment is close enough to not eat through tires. I have 15,000 miles after lowering with H&R and Bilstein sports. I drive very aggressively and my tires are wearing evenly. I did NOT change my spring pads and the car dropped a little over an inch. I do not remember the camber numbers that the tech gave me. I personally would not use the bending technique (sounds like something to do in setting up a low rider with hydraulics). The negative camber along with the lower center of gravity is what helps in the modification. If I had used the spring pads it would have been too much. I do not know if this has anything to do with my car being an early run in 99.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree and when my '02 430 arrives I am changing the pads..........

Not the springs. <br> <br> A technician at Mercedes-Benz has done this modification which is does not void any warranty and he has personally done them which brings the car down about 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch.<br> <br> He can do the alignment on site too.<br> <br> He was very candid and has found no problem with unneven tyre wear etc.<br> <br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3/4 in. lower is not that low, so the dealer can still use the screw to do alignment....but

<br> like i said earlier. If you change the spring and pad. Your car is now lower more then 1 in. Now the screw can not be use to do alignment 100% back to spec.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AH I see. The extra drop from the spring pads is not going to be correctable considering

the car is already pulled back out as far as it can be with the screw.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts