Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting kind of cold in my area and not having remote start is inconvenient.

I was wondering since I had 2 keys if I could start the car and leave the key in there, would I be able to reliably lock it and unlock it later with the other key?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
It's getting kind of cold in my area and not having remote start is inconvenient.

I was wondering since I had 2 keys if I could start the car and leave the key in there, would I be able to reliably lock it and unlock it later with the other key?
This should be no problem. Do make sure both keys operate correctly first of all.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
I believe you can use the mechanical key to do the same. Start car, hit lock on dash for all other doors, manually lock driver door?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wouldn't work with the 2nd remote so I used the interior button, then the mechanical key for the driver door.

It was 23deg this morning, which might not be low to some people.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
You know that Benz do not recommend an idling warm up? - needs about 1200+ rpm to ensure bore lubrication.

Oberoi

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
I tend to rev the engine up to 2k for ten seconds or so after cold start when RPM's drop to increase oil pressure, and provide initial lubrication.

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
I tend to rev the engine up to 2k for ten seconds or so after cold start when RPM's drop to increase oil pressure, and provide initial lubrication.
We used to do this many years ago but with modern engines the oil pressure is at max by the time the engine revs drop anyway so really it is a waste of time and may actually (depending on outside temperature) lead to engine damage.

·
Registered
2012 E350 :-) 2002 E320 (sold)
432 Posts
just for grins

Years ago I had a GMC van. I wanted to leave the dog in the van, but it was too hot outside so I decided to keep the van running with the AC on, remove the remote from my key, and lock the doors. That seemed simple enough until I tried using the remote to open the van. no joy. So there I was in BF new jersey with my dog locked in the running van and me outside unable to open the doors with the remote.

On another note, one of the people I work with let her car warm up in her driveway while she went inside for something. When she came outside her car was gone. Someone stole it from her driveway. That was bad enough, but when the insurance adjuster asked her, "What did you do to prevent your car from being stolen?" all she could say is that she left her keys in the car with it running and she went inside her house. Fail.

·
Registered
2002 C32 AMG
1,771 Posts
We used to do this many years ago but with modern engines the oil pressure is at max by the time the engine revs drop anyway so really it is a waste of time and may actually (depending on outside temperature) lead to engine damage.
When you start to drive engine averages around 2k RPM? How is that any different? Initial start creates more wear due to the lack of lubrication. It only takes several seconds for full oil pressure correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts