Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E320 88K
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
Have been lusting for the 140 for years now. Purchased a 210 and am becoming comfortable with maintaining it and really enjoying driving it. Thinking about taking the 140 plunge. I have reviewed the stickys, but haven't found a top ten list of things to look for when hunting for a 140. (obviously a pre-purchase inspection; but what else). TIA

·
Registered
1995 mercedes S420
228 Posts
Gentlemen,
Have been lusting for the 140 for years now. Purchased a 210 and am becoming comfortable with maintaining it and really enjoying driving it. Thinking about taking the 140 plunge. I have reviewed the stickys, but haven't found a top ten list of things to look for when hunting for a 140. (obviously a pre-purchase inspection; but what else). TIA
my advice is you have to inspect the car carefully . i got mine for $3000 so i wan happy about the price and i thought it only needs a fuel pump. i ended with lots problems like engine harness wire for $700, vacuum pump for $500 ,throttle body wiring were damaged got a rebuild for $500 and transmission rebuild for $2500. those were the major problems .

but its really worth it buddy. and im welling to spend more and welling to get a 1998 or 1999 S600 .

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Welcome to the W140 forum, and I hope your transmission fluid change went well. The W140 stickies are not well organized as the W210 stickies where you steer-clear of the pit-falls.

Back to the transmission, all W140's that are pre 722.6xx will experience reverse gear failure. All because a little low cost Lip-seal, and you will find many low price W140's with no-reverse.

Engine, Everybody sandbags the S320s or the early S600s. I do not hot-dog my cars, so S320 is fine. The V8's suffer from CAM lube tubes, My opinion any engine is fine.

Early W140's(92-96) suffer from the bio-degradable wiring. Mostly in the engine compartment, but my 96 has the issue on the mirror wiring.A quick test is to fold the mirrors(they fold electronically from a little round knob near the shifter) if the mirrors stop during the folding of the mirrors? It is the result of the bare copper wires exposed(shorts out, and pops the fuse), and it can be seen once the mirrors are folded.

The very early W140's suffer from A/C condenser failure, and it is a monumental task to fix that.

The vacuum pump works the close-assist on the doors fails, but the pump is repairable. I repaired mine in an hour, and steerd-away from $500-$1000 dollar fix.

The W140 suffers from Vacuum motors(diaphragms) at each door will stop operating as the result of the latches holding the motors together break, and the annoyance of the door locks not working. The vacuum motors can be fixed with cable ties, or just purchased for under 50 bucks each.

Whatever car you get. The one design-flaw is this plastic heater tee that must be replaced when you acquire the car, and exhibit a level of urgency for its replacement because it can ruin any engine in a matter of seconds when it breaks. When the tee is replaced use only the tee from the Mercedes DEALER-No ebay or aftermarket...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1320788-evil-lurks-under-hood-really-devil.html?highlight=devil

Since you are out on the East Coast, Rust is an issue, and the immediate rust location is the trunk-sill(under the black plastic). if the front windshield was replaced with a aftermarket one, the window installers never can clip on the left and right covers next to windshield correctly, and they will rub on rear top of the front fenders cause rust.

Get a PPI on your car, or ask your questions here. I did not get a PPI for any of my cars, but I surfed the forums with all the possible failures.My only mistake is the S320 did not have a 722.6 as it is a much better transmission to repair, and to DIY.

Best of luck,

Martin

I paid 9k for my S320 six years ago, 1k for my S500 a month ago, and 6k E320 wagon three years ago.

I

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 Sedan, 1999 S600 w/ 4-pl seating, 1995 S600 Coupe, 2-1992 600SEL's, 2002 ML55, 1998 SL600
2,424 Posts
MAVA gives excellent advice.

Don't be afraid to pay a bit more than what others have. Two reasons: You'll get a better car, and you can demand more of the seller, like handing over all the service records, etc. I said a bit more, not a whole lot more.

Typically, good running 600's will run you about $10-15k, 500's will be about $7-$10k, and the rest drop off from there. Pay less and you'll pay more rehabbing it.

These cars, in the hands of 3rd and 4th owners, have tons of deferred maintenance to tend to.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420, 2011 BMW 535i M-Sport
445 Posts
You should buy my W140:) Seriously though. The S420 is great! I love it and am the second owner since 1998-99. Lovingly and expensively taken care of and runs perfectly.

-Z

·
Registered
2000 E320 88K
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the W140 forum, and I hope your transmission fluid change went well. The W140 stickies are not well organized as the W210 stickies where you steer-clear of the pit-falls.

Back to the transmission, all W140's that are pre 722.6xx will experience reverse gear failure. All because a little low cost Lip-seal, and you will find many low price W140's with no-reverse.

Engine, Everybody sandbags the S320s or the early S600s. I do not hot-dog my cars, so S320 is fine. The V8's suffer from CAM lube tubes, My opinion any engine is fine.

Early W140's(92-96) suffer from the bio-degradable wiring. Mostly in the engine compartment, but my 96 has the issue on the mirror wiring.A quick test is to fold the mirrors(they fold electronically from a little round knob near the shifter) if the mirrors stop during the folding of the mirrors? It is the result of the bare copper wires exposed(shorts out, and pops the fuse), and it can be seen once the mirrors are folded.

The very early W140's suffer from A/C condenser failure, and it is a monumental task to fix that.

The vacuum pump works the close-assist on the doors fails, but the pump is repairable. I repaired mine in an hour, and steerd-away from $500-$1000 dollar fix.

The W140 suffers from Vacuum motors(diaphragms) at each door will stop operating as the result of the latches holding the motors together break, and the annoyance of the door locks not working. The vacuum motors can be fixed with cable ties, or just purchased for under 50 bucks each.

Whatever car you get. The one design-flaw is this plastic heater tee that must be replaced when you acquire the car, and exhibit a level of urgency for its replacement because it can ruin any engine in a matter of seconds when it breaks. When the tee is replaced use only the tee from the Mercedes DEALER-No ebay or aftermarket...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1320788-evil-lurks-under-hood-really-devil.html?highlight=devil

Since you are out on the East Coast, Rust is an issue, and the immediate rust location is the trunk-sill(under the black plastic). if the front windshield was replaced with a aftermarket one, the window installers never can clip on the left and right covers next to windshield correctly, and they will rub on rear top of the front fenders cause rust.

Get a PPI on your car, or ask your questions here. I did not get a PPI for any of my cars, but I surfed the forums with all the possible failures.My only mistake is the S320 did not have a 722.6 as it is a much better transmission to repair, and to DIY.

Best of luck,

Martin

I paid 9k for my S320 six years ago, 1k for my S500 a month ago, and 6k E320 wagon three years ago.

I
Did your S320 not have the 722.6 because of the year, or did they just not have it with that engine? Asking, because I'm looking at a 97 S320 - 722.6 or not?
Also, any other differences in 97-99, as opposed to pre-97?
TIA

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
8,064 Posts
Mike,

Sadly my S320 of 1996 was not offered with 722.6, and the Remote Control system was different to on all 96 Mercedes Benz Vehicles. Remember OBDII came out too. One more issue of 96's, I live in the Union of California-home of higher taxes, earthquakes, and every-other year car emission testing. The all 96's fail the emissions test if the person does not follow the instructions of the Emissions testing machine instead of just plugging in the cable to the OBD port as 99.9999 percent of cars can accept, but the 96 Mercedes Benz vehicles cannot or else the check-engine light will come on, and when the light comes on it is an automatic fail of the test. Nice....

I currently have my 96 722.5 transmission in a million pieces on my table, and waiting to put it back together. It has way to many pieces compared to the 722.6. If you ever want to DIY a transmission. The 722.6 is the best to do it on-it will take you a 1/4 to 1/3 of the time to fix compared to the 722.3-722.5.

Here is a list of all the transmissions:

mercedes transmissions

Just "qualify" you are getting a "S320 with a 722.6" Take the VIN number down and go to Mercedes-The parts department and they will run a EPC print-out of what the car includes. Other 96 W140's did come with 722.6, but not the S320 of 1996.

Hope this helps you,

Martin

·
Registered
2000 E320 88K
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Martin,
Thanks. I'll keep you posted. I've run out of things to do on the 210 - she's running so good that I probably need another project!

·
8,064 Posts
Mike,

You are welcome. My $1000 S500 turned-out be gem. All it needed was a transmission fluid exchange. The engine runs like a top, and the transmission shifts very well. Their are some cars out there for a bargain, and yes some will say "Cheap Mercedes will be the most expensive Mercedes" I'm very handy with cars.

Stay away from overheated cars, or cars that show the white residue at the end of hoses leaking a lot. Cars that have green or orange coolant in them. The coolant in these cars is clear to light yellow. Get a small clean hose and dip it in the reservoir for coolant or water, and smell it-The scents are different-Coolant yes-Water only-something must have happened? Inspect the hoses in the back of the engine where the tee is for white residue.

Best of luck,

Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts