Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read. Comment.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1200201&posts=11 [8)]

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,110 Posts
it's a totally different design than our w126s, but it's drop-dead gorgeous

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I stopped by the dealer to have a look.. Wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be from the pictures.. I have a problem Really falling in love w/ any of the new MB's. Knowing the quality is Not there like it used to be is a real turn off[xx(][xx(]

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Hmmm, no, sorry, Ack, doesn’t do anything for me (for that dough it should do something to you). The lines are lost and don’t seem to go anywhere. I know the tall door and chopped top look is ‘in’ but to me it’s just unattractive; it’s as if there’s no A and C pillar.

Too Chrysler-esque, I’m afraid. I know the M is boxier but the similarities are too close. [xx(]

Attachments

·
Registered
719 Posts
For practicality purposes, it seems to be a big POS.

But for looks,...

I'll have to see one in person before passing judgment. But so far, I don't know what to think.

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
I've seen 4 CLS's here in Poland so far... they're very nice cars when you see them in person. I don't know why people are complaining about them. Seems that only the older people who are used to old school things and hate changes are the ones that complain.

The CLS along with the Peugeot 607 have a beatiful design and in some ways even look similar.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I wouldn't have one for free. Typical new MB garbage. They have lost their pulse on their target consumer.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
here is a full forum on the CLS.

http://www.mbcanada.com/forum/index.php?s=34212481a414aebef388a2d5e0476632&showforum=28

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Older people?? Dude I'm 26 and All about change;-)

Jonathan

·
Registered
573 Posts
horrible.

saw and sat in the car.........and didn't feel like going for drive.

the car looks 1000% better in pictures than it does in real life. i don't know why mercedes felt that they needed something 'between the E and the S'...thats the official line by the way.

Outside, its not a Merc....S or any other class. Inside, its a mix of using E instruments and way too much fake wood. Its claustrophobic because the windows are so small...all around.

I don't understand why Mercedes made it, and i will never understand why someone would buy it.

I can come to terms with the current S, and even quite like the new E, but this.......[8]

·
Mercedes
9,046 Posts
mercbuff - 2/24/2005 12:27 PM

horrible.

the car looks 1000% better in pictures than it does in real life. i don't know why mercedes felt that they needed something 'between the E and the S'...thats the official line by the way.

Outside, its not a Merc....S or any other class. Inside, its a mix of using E instruments and way too much fake wood. Its claustrophobic because the windows are so small...all around.

I don't understand why Mercedes made it, and i will never understand why someone would buy it.

I can come to terms with the current S, and even quite like the new E, but this.......[8]
funny, I have the exact opposite view on the car.

Its obviously a mercedes.. and the reason its not an S class is because its a NEW CLS class. Its not a copy of anything.. just a new design.

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
Snibble - 2/24/2005 9:53 AM

horrible.

funny, I have the exact opposite view on the car.

Its obviously a mercedes.. and the reason its not an S class is because its a NEW CLS class. Its not a copy of anything.. just a new design.

Oh I don't know about that, it looks a hell of a lot like an A6 to me. Then again I'm hopelessly stuck in the past anyway so i don't like ANY new MB.

John
'80 500se AMG(?)
'80 300sd

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The roof line has too much "BMW" in it...I think the 6 series or whatever crap they have. The grill is also too straight down and needs to be more raked back.

·
Registered
97 Ford Scorpio Cosworth
702 Posts
when i see the comments from people like benzonline i´m really wondering:

WHY DON´T YOU DESIGN YOUR CAR IF YOU KNOW HOW IT HAS TO LOOK, PEOPLE ARE BUYING THIS CAR SO, AND I THINK IT LOOKS DOES, IT HAS TOO LOOK GOOD TO THEM...

·
Registered
719 Posts
There are some that will seem to think anything made by MB is gorgeous. Even if MB put out the 21st century version of the Family Truckster.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
The last thing DCX needs in its Mercedes-Benz automobile line is another ‘class.’ [xx(]

·
Registered
86 560SEL
1,324 Posts
I think the CLS design is sort of a midlife crisis. It can't decided to be a sedan or coupe in a way. I am sure it is a nice car but...everyone entitled for his or her opinions. I would't want one. But if given to me, I'd sell it for the $$$$.

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

horrible.

[8]
Ask yourself this; WHY did MB ever make an S-body coupe? W126 or W140 coupes? Think of how sheerly UNPRACTICAL a 4 door, HUGE $100,000 coupe really is? Now, with that said, do we LOVE them? YES! I think we tend to OVER THINK it. They made it because they COULD and they've got PLENTY of other models to choose from. I think much more valid questions are why they would make an awesome coupe, (CLK), THEN proceed to ruin it. But I never asked WHY did they make it in the first place.

End the end, I find the W126 gang about the most diverse and even keeled of all the forums, so I sought, and appreciaqte your opinions.

BTW, Let me get my comments from the firts thread into this thread:

"--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
reliablebruce - 2/10/2005 5:10 PM

go check out the car for your self,I did, everything on this car is substandard mercedes, brakes, wood trim, seats, you name it plus theres no such thing as a four door coupe. and never will be, they should have made this car a two door and called it an E class coupe it;s on the E class chassis any way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totally FALSE (except the 4 door coupe comment). I've applied the above description to MANY of the newer Mercedes; ML, early W220 Sclass, early W210, early C-Class, - all Chyrsler-like in material. Plus the NEW CLK RUINED the model and looks built for female professionals and graduating daughters. But I went to the dealership to pick up a part for my true-school 190E, and the CLS STOPPED. ME. DEAD. IN. MY. TRACKS! PERIOD. Now THIS is what so MANY of us have been waiting for! A NEW Benz with the OLD world feel. This thing SCREAMED W126 SEC to me, and I say that with utmost sever gravity. KNOW, YE, the CLS has made me rebelieve, yet re-confused, for it sat side by side with the new wussy-mobile. I think Daimler has CERTAINLY noticed the shock and awe of the CLS, and hopefully will truely head in this direction. Bruce, submit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mighty AckVig"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts