Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1976 450SL
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will need to ship my '76 450SL when I move from SoCal to Virginia next summer. Has anyone shipped a vehicle before? Any suggestions, comments, concerns, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
mercedes 500 sec
22 Posts
Look in the Phone Book

Look in the phone book for an auto transport company. I shipped a car from North Carolina to New York for less that $600. I drove to a main street because the car carrier was too big to travel on a residential street, the guy inspected the vehicle for dents and scratches all which were noted on the receipt, he drove the car onto the carrier and in 2 days the car was delivered at its destination at exactly the time the company said it would deliver. I also took a photo of my car before shipping.

·
Registered
1988 560SL
13 Posts
Go enclosed

I've shipped two cars from the East coast to California, first on a regular transporter - resulting in heavy stonechip damage to car. The next time I used an enclosed transporter (Intercity Lines), which was more expensive but definately worth the money for piece of mind.It's so easy for the car to get damaged if it's not enclosed. So in the end enclosed transport ended up being cheaper for me.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Shipping

I have shipped my 89 SL from Florida to Chicago, and there are things to watch out for, not putting the car up top where it can get stone chips, the best location is behind the cab and where it also wont be taken off too many times. I wanted to put on my cover which they advised against because of the wind and the abrasion. Dont let them chain it down by using the rear tow hook, it is for pulling but not downward inspect it before going on the truck and afterward, the drivers are supposed to be responsible for damage, sometimes they want to get out of any problems. The enclosed van is the best and costliest way to go, and of course reputation

·
Registered
85 380SL 89 560SEC
26 Posts
car shipping info

There is a web page that provides links to dozens of car shipping companies, some of which will provide immediate quotes over the internet. Check out http://www.movecars.com/toc/find/index.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts