Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to purchase a 406 Diesel, running and in Southwest, US.<br>Can travel to see, buut would like a photo if possible. ROPS and <br>winches a plus. $6-8K. Will consider all, however. Nothing after <br>1975, please.<br><br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi
i have a 64, 406.121 steelhardcab, straight 6 diesel. approx 80hp i believe. all mechanicals/lockers work, engine has 41xxhours chassis 65xxx, bad side tachometer is broken, waterpump leaks, front tranny output leaks (both very common) both very easy to fix. im a tech at a benz dealership i do have pics of it,
however i am in northern california, orginally orange, its repainted camo for the cab and the bed is still yellowish orange.
http://www.geocities.com/runaway420/915892539_l.jpg

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,608 Posts
The original post is over 6 years old, so you may be a little late!

·
Registered
68 280 SEL, 89 300TE
906 Posts
afgui said:
hi
i have a 64, 406.121 steelhardcab, straight 6 diesel. approx 80hp i believe. all mechanicals/lockers work, engine has 41xxhours chassis 65xxx, bad side tachometer is broken, waterpump leaks, front tranny output leaks (both very common) both very easy to fix. im a tech at a benz dealership i do have pics of it,
however i am in northern california, orginally orange, its repainted camo for the cab and the bed is still yellowish orange.
http://www.geocities.com/runaway420/915892539_l.jpg
What are you asking for it?

·
Registered
85' U1300L Holset Turbo VA A/C, 66' Propane 404.1 rock mog, 1975 416 Doka, G500, Volvo C303
4,978 Posts
Yea, what are you asking for it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
von,
thanks for replying here but not my email, maybe it got sent 2 your bulk mail or whatever, still looking for parts for the waterpump and front tranny output seal/bearing, if you need the VIN to help decipher what motor it has 2 help me getahold of some1, any1 in fact that would be great, ive emailed expedition imports, talked 2 some company in oregon and had another email cc to some company in indiana or something out in the midwest all with 0 luck, it seems that you have been restoring 406's as easy as a oil change so all help would be greatly appreciated,

last week i did some basic maintenaince and adj some stuff, all fluids flushed, bled brakes/ p/s, fule injection and hydraulics. the "war hog" as my shop calls it still cannot stop worth poo, the leak from the front tranny seal is pretty bad, ive been opening the diff overfill plug in the front in hopes to not leak out onto the hubs and alll over the drums/shoes but everyday when i look at it, it looks bad, another question von, i believe i gotton 80% of the way of lifting the cab, the intake rubber housing, tranny boltdown and the 2 bushing bolts on the underside of the cab, i cant figure out how to disconnect the steering linkage w/o destroying that rubber boot, nor can i find a way 2 support the cab while i do a valve adj on it and change the fuel and prefuel filters, im thinking bout removing the bolt from the pivot point in the front and just lift it all the way out? any suggestions?

as for the questions bout selling it, your looking at least above $7600, thats about the cost from me buying it, title change,including the 150$ in fluids so far and id say around 8hours of labor.

my ultimate plan is remaintaining this thing so that it will properly brake and cruise on the road, the coils and shocks on this beast is just way 2 hardcore for me, any ideas on different coils that will swap in/out? im looking for softer coils so the mog can flex easier on trails;
other then taht if some1 like yourself was to offer me like $8000 or even more if youd like for me 2 do some more additional work on it, its yours, the motor is bulletproof, the tranny shifts flawlessly, the axles were both rebuild bout 5yrs ago, most of the brake parts where also fixed or rebuilt but the tranny leak is making it stop on the rear pads only cuz the oil in the front provide no friction/stopping power. if you search around the front tranny leak seems like a common problem with the unimog's in general, the water/coolant pump does not leak as severely since the new fluids, even though i thought with new fluids it would make it worst, its acutally better!. i did come 2 find a tiny hole in the gas tank, no worries im gonna run it till its outta fuel, either weld a penny over it or get some jbweld but the leak will cease.

thanks for your interest, hope anybody can help me out!

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,608 Posts
afgui,
I don't sell parts, best is give a call to Jim Ince at Eurotech or Sean at Eurotruck. These guys have the parts that you need. As for your front axle, it should not leak out onto the brakes. You have a seal problem up front as well as in the tranny. You need to pull the front axle out to replace the tranny seal, so while you have it out, I would replace the output axle seals. And while your at it, you might want to replace the air locker seals as well. They are cheap and with the axle out will only take a hour or less to change.
For raising the cab, you have to remove the bolt that holds the steering joint onto the steering box. Then use a rubber hammer and pound on the steering wheel to move the wheel away from the box. Do you have the front mounts for raising the cab? There are MB supports made to hold the cab up once raised. Becareful when raising the cab that you don't go too far and send the cab flipping over the front! You should get ahold of a shop manual, as it will show you how to do all that is needed to repair your mog.
Von

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey,
thanx for the response, i do have the shop manuals both volumne 1 and 2 and the operators manual and some other manaul the size of the operators manual all in german with a exploded view of all major parts. i just drove it back to my apartment and occured a major brake failure, if your on the mog4x4 email list check it out, its gota buncha details or ideas? but thanks for your input now i hafta solve this brake proble so i can drive it back into my shop to get those seals put in!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts