Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300td wagon with 435,000 sold, 1984 300sd 230,000, 1980 300sd 113,000, 1983 300cd 260,000
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I do the necessary repairs on my rear suspension on my wagon using ramps or should I just jack up the car on each size. I want to replace the accumalators and the leveling valve. I figure to collapse the suspension when I let the fluid out. Am I wrong in these assumptions? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
Can I do the necessary repairs on my rear suspension on my wagon using ramps or should I just jack up the car on each size. I want to replace the accumalators and the leveling valve. I figure to collapse the suspension when I let the fluid out. Am I wrong in these assumptions? Thank you.
Don't work under a car supported only by a jack. You can get to the accumulators and the SLS valve fairly easily if you put the car on jack stands or ramps, either is fine. Clean off all of the fittings FIRST because you don't want to introduce crap into the lines that you will be re-using. I _think_ that there is a bleed valve on the SLS that will relieve pressure, but any way you slice it, these things are going to drip all over the place when you disconnect the hoses. I had my car on ramps when I replaced the SLS valve and the accumulators. I don't remember the car getting shorter when I released the pressure, but I could be forgetting something...

·
Registered
1985 300CD
2,137 Posts
If you put the car on stands, the wheels will hang and the actuators won't be compressed. Less fluid will come out, but you need to put it on ramps to adjust and test the linkage arm on the SLS valve.

If your accumulators are shot, you'll want to flush the hydraulic fluid once you're done replacing them. I like to do the flush by catching the fluid at the reservoir. Then you're right there to make sure the reservoir doesn't go dry.

You'll need 2-3 quarts of FEBI or MB hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2004 E320 wagon, 2006 CLS55,
1,051 Posts
Look over at shop forum diesel section- I just changed a SLS sphere in about 40 minutes. Since the sphere was bad it was full of fluid. The new one was not and so I did not need to add much fluid at all even though I collected quite a bit. The valve changing is a different matter.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
Look over at shop forum diesel section- I just changed a SLS sphere in about 40 minutes. Since the sphere was bad it was full of fluid. The new one was not and so I did not need to add much fluid at all even though I collected quite a bit. The valve changing is a different matter.
The valve changing depends a lot on where you live, whether there is any corrosion on the bolts holding it in or on the flare nut fittings. But it will get fluid on you most likely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts