Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
BMW right now
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds kind of crazy, but I have always had this goal in my head. I always follow this guy Irv Gordon who drove his 66 Volvo P1800s for 2 million miles (he holds the Guiness BOok of records). I need to find a car that I could live with for the next 20+ years too. Something that will still be fun to drive, look nice, and be comfortable. It needs to have four doors and preferably a proper manual gearbox but not a deal breakeer. I am considering a 2011 MB c300 or c350. I know it's a fairly new car, but do you think with proper care and work the car could go that far?

If not the MB, what car could? We are obviously all "car people" so list any other good candidates.

I list the VW gti because I really have always liked the car, I love the plaid seats, the steering wheel is right up there with an M3. It's really incredible, and it's also the cheapest, by several thousand dollars.

My considerations:

BMW 328i
VW GTI
Cadillac CTS
Audi A4

·
Registered
2007 W204 C280/C300
107 Posts
If you want a benz, W124 e class should suit your need. You'd want something as mechanical as possible since taking care of electronics will surely be a headache 20 years down the road. I've seen w124s with 500k miles and they're still working fine. Still looked like they can keep going for many decades to come.

That or if you want something newer, consider a land rover defender or Toyota land cruiser. If the UN can use them in rugged Africa for the last 20+ years, they should last long enough for you as well.

·
Registered
BMW right now
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want a benz, W124 e class should suit your need. You'd want something as mechanical as possible since taking care of electronics will surely be a headache 20 years down the road. I've seen w124s with 500k miles and they're still working fine. Still looked like they can keep going for many decades to come.

That or consider a land rover defender or land cruiser. If the UN can use them in Africa, they should last long enough for you.
I want/need a new car. I don't want to consider a used or preowned.

·
Registered
'08 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
116 Posts
Today's car market is enveloped by advancement in technological breakthrough... all the onboard electronics and the complexity that goes with it makes a car more fuel efficient, faster (More hp and torque), safer, etc. which in turn also makes it hard to diagnose when problems arise... I doubt if there is still any car in today's market that will break the 1 million mile mark with no major repairs needed along the way

They don't build cars the way they used to, Society also play a major role in this dilemma, I hardly see anybody who still drives a 10+ year old car... Mostly replace or trade in their vehicles on an average of 5-8 years

But if there's any manufacturer who can put up to the test... I put my money on German ingenuity... the VW for example has been tried and tested along with some benzes:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
The 1 million mile goal is not worth the trouble or expense.

·
Registered
W123 wagon, E30 325iS, Suzuki SV650S
83 Posts
A diesel will definitely outlast a gasoline motor. I've seen many older Mercedes (W123s and W124s) go for many hundreds of thousands of miles. But I definitely agree with albert101 and ZeroSeven. Cars today are much too intricate in terms of computers and electronics to make the million mile mark. The simpler, the better. Cheaper repairs and less stuff to go wrong. To be honest though, you'll probably get tired of the car before you even come close to a million miles. If you do decide to go for the million miles, a K&N air filter will make that mark!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts