Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I want to do something a little crazy and would see how it turns out. I know there is a lot of space within the center armrest once you remove it. I was thinkin of puttin a cooler with cold air comming into it somehwere in that space. Either removing the rear cupholders (since the're pretty much useless) and having a drawer like cooler in the back or a cooler right in the armrest. . .

I know it sounds a little "pimp my Ride" ish but i really want to do this. I was inspried by the Passat that has the cooler in the glovebox. How exactly does that work and what materials would I need to get started?

-Thanks

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,632 Posts
Actually I think that's a pretty neat idea. I believe there are companies that sell small cooling units that you can buy and all you have to do is create a nice shell. If you do do something, make sure to let us all know .... with pics!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
those companies use TEC thermal electric cooling they use a peltier system where one side of a peltier gets really hot and one side gets cold, remove the heat fromt he hot and u got one very cold sides. Depending on the power of the TEC and the amount of hot air your able to dissapate im sure you could build a box fix up a few fans and heatsinks for the peltier, and get a good power source to it. Peltiers are not very expensive, your going to have to research how much wattage your going to require/able to provide. Build a box with insulating materials, you could proabbaly get away with a mini cooler.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
First, sorry for the big images, I don't know how to shrink them. .

So the bottom is 9 1/2 inches, the bottom of the cupholder piece is 8 inches and the top is 7 inches. the only problem is that bar right behind the cup holder where the console screws down and the inside armrest bucket screws down..That's in the way..I found a fridge with these dimensions

Outside: 11" x 7-1/4" x 10"
Inside 8-1/2" x 5-3/4" x 5-1/4" (HxWxD)

if I put the fridge horizontally, i could modify the inside a little and it is possible it could fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 ML320
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I can't make it fit (because I stil want to retain the use of the armrest console, I'll probably will make a custom box. I have no clue what to do. Thanks sin0822 for getting me thinkin about doing it custom,like a slide out drawer. I have no idea how I'm going to build one, If anyone has any more information of this, please drop some. If I do get that small fridge, is it wise to cut it out and alter that to fit my needs?

·
Registered
166 Posts
depends what kind of fridge. are you talking a real fridge with a compressor or one of those thiny things from thesharperimage?

The only problem i see with this is when the car is off and you want to keep things cool, how bad will it drain the battery?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt the electrical system have a voltage cutoff on the 12v DC outlet next to the passenger?

Also that fridge should work fine, i just wouldnt store anything that might spoil in there, lol.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,844 Posts
Not sure if you know, that E-classe has such a cooler as a standard option. The lower compartment has air ducts with louvers, that are hooked up to car's AC system.
I don't drink in the car, so am not using that option (carrying lot of other junk in the compartment) but my AC vents blows really cold air (had windshield frozen at 75 F outside when vents malfunctioned in Louisiana's wet air).

·
Registered
37,844 Posts
WhyteML said:
Does the A/C havta be on if you want things to be cooled in the compartment?

Let me answer that with a joke :D

Three women go down to Mexico one night to celebrate college graduation. They all get drunk, and wake up in jail, only to find that they are to be executed in the morning, though none of them can remember what they did the night before.

The first one, a redhead, is strapped in the electric chair and is asked if she has any last words.

She said, "I just graduated from Trinity Bible College and believe in the almighty power of God to intervene on the behalf of the innocent."

They throw the switch and nothing happens. They all immediately fall to the floor on their knees, beg for forgiveness, and release her.

The second one, a brunette, is strapped in and gives her last words. "I just graduated from the Harvard School of Law and I believe in the power of justice to intervene on the part of the innocent."

They throw the switch and again, nothing happens. Again they all immediately fall to their knees, beg for forgiveness and release her.

The last one (you know it), a blonde, is strapped in and said "Well, I just graduated from Texas A&M with a degree in Electrical Engineering, and I'll tell ya'll right now, ya'll ain't gonna electrocute nobody if you don't plug this thing in."

·
Registered
37,844 Posts
Dang! How old are you?
In order for something to work, it needs to be plugged in and turned on.

Than with today's technology we have many options. 500W inverters sell for $30.
That 120V power supply can run small refrigerator. In my motorhome I am carrying tabletop ice maker. The box is about 18"x18"x16" and makes first ice in 7 minutes. Not sure what the power draw is, but it runs on my big inverter without a blink.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts