Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1976 300D
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a hand me down 1976 300d that I got from my father in law and although gutless as all get out I have learned to appreciate it for it’s well… jua da vieve.

Now that I am a old Merc convert, I just recently found a 1984 300cd that has been sitting in a garage for the past 10 years, with less than 80,000 Klicks on it.[:D] I have done a bit of research on the mid 80’s merc’s and was astonished at the number of different body types during this time. The question I have, is the turbo diesel in all these cars the same or is there a different motor for each? Secondly is there anything to watch out for in the CD and finally the big draw back on this car is that since it has been sitting in a garage in a city that is DAMP! The car has a musty funk about it.[xx(] Does anyone know if a detailer can get rid of the smell?

Thanks[8D]

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
Where is the 300CD so I can uh, check it out out for you, ....joking. Enough fresh air and...

Where is the 300CD so I can uh, check it out out for you, ....joking. Enough fresh air and it will likely loose it's odor over time. The 82 300D turbo engine is essentially the same. SD's got a tubo in the late seventies. The 82 300D turbo has a different trans
then the 123 non turbo, more sophisticated. An obvious difference is the non turbo as 4 bolt trans oil pan, and the 300D 82-85 turbo has a six bolt pan and different innards.

I would just change every fluid, belt and hose and filter. Infact I would rather buy it for a cheap non running price. Would not feel comfortable testing it with fluids that old. None the less if you want start it and drive it with great car on slow side streets.
Brakes calipers could be stuck or about to stick.
If you bleed the brakes with an EZ-bleed they just might be fine, but don't quote me on it then loose them.

QUite a few people have bought barn finds and done well. Keeping the rubber and plastic out of the light can be a big help. Tires will be flat spotted or dry rotted. Considering how few coupe were made if the price is right it could be the find of a lifetime.
John Gregg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.