Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK350
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone consider (or do) ordering 2 cars from different dealers and then purchasing which ever came in fastest (or maybe even what ever deal was better when time came to buy)? Is that just bad? They seemed so non-challant about you cancelling your order for whatever reason if you needed to.
Thanks all.
 

·
Registered
350 SLK
Joined
·
1,528 Posts
No, I didn't order from 2 different dealers but when I placed my order I was still on the fence between the SLK and the new Boxter. Since it was only November and the new Boxter wasn't due for release until January 15, the salesperson said that if I decided to cancel it would not be a problem as he could sell it easily and I would get my deposit back. They never did cash my deposit check. When I went to pick up the car it was stapled to my file.
 

·
Registered
SLK 350 MT
Joined
·
148 Posts
i hope there's no auto salepersons as members, but in that line of work i don't think ethics ever play a part in the transaction. "bad" would be everyone not making a sale. if one car gets purchased, then MB wins- isn't that the point of manufacturing cars?
 

·
Registered
SLK 350
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else but ethics always plays a part in my business dealings. I feel that my dealer is ethical. They were up front with whatever info they had at the time (last April) that I ordered my car and said that if I wanted to cancel my order right up to the moment that my car was delivered, it would be OK since they didn't have the price at the time that I ordered my car nor did they have a demo for me to try. What more could I ask of a dealership.
 

·
Registered
06 SLK350
Joined
·
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand what ur saying Duo. I had thought about it because the dealer wont give me any clear indication of a price until the car comes in 3 months or so from now. I dont wanna be pressured to overpay because I waited so long for the car and dont want to start the process all over again.
The dealers do make it sound like the car will be in a higher demand this summer and its seemingly not a big deal to change your mind for whatever the reason.
 

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
socalapproach - 2/22/2005 2:06 PM

Did anyone consider (or do) ordering 2 cars from different dealers and then purchasing which ever came in fastest (or maybe even what ever deal was better when time came to buy)? Is that just bad? They seemed so non-challant about you cancelling your order for whatever reason if you needed to.
Thanks all.
I had a variation of that approach. i first ordered an SLK in May from a dealer I helped my mom buy from, German, so when I told him I wanted Euro delivery, I thought he would have the best chance. As he wasn't coming through, except for US delivery of the car, I checked my local dealer where I bought my M-Class a few years ago. The sales manager there told me MBZ wouldn't go Euro delivery the first year because of demand (obvioulsy a lie). So I went to another bay area dealer (between my home and work) and ask for a European delivery specialist now in June, which they had, and told him what I wanted. He was great and I wound up getting a 10/1/04 European delivery. In late August, I got a call from the first guy, telling me my build was late September and I should have the car in early November...I told him of my 10/1 Euro delivery and asked for my deposit back which came in the mail 4 days later...[^]
 

·
Registered
SLK320
Joined
·
25 Posts
I ended up having an order with 2 dealers for a 55. I started with a salesperson I liked but she had to always go through a manager who I thought was condescending and not very truthful. After several misleading statements from him I decided to check around with other dealers and found one who said he could have the car for me by early April. My original dealer had my deposit and said my order was "in the system". The second dealer agreed to hold my order without a deposit until the build date was in netstar. While checking he said the first dealer did not have a firm date in the system and when I confirmed this I cancelled my order and got my deposit back which I turned over to dealer number two. I never intended to string anyone along and I felt bad taking the order from the salesperson I liked at the first dealership but their dishonesty was enough to clear my conscience. I was certainly glad I dumped the first dealer and feel lucky that I found a trustworthy replacement. It seems that others have had similar expirences so I guess it's as true as ever, buyer beware.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top