Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still getting small drips of water into the spare wheel well and rear washer bottle areas of my wagon.

I know its nothing to do with the rear or side window seals as I have checked them and fixed any problems.

The service manual explains that the "rear venting system" may need resealing periodically. I've looked in this area of the car and there is actually a hole in the area shown on the following diagram (showing equivalent area on saloon). This corresponds to where the drip is inside the car. The sunroof drains are fine.

The hole doesn't appear to be caused by rust.

Has anyone seen this before and fixed it?

What sealer would you use to fill this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I managed to partially remove the rear chrome roof gutter fin to gain access to the rear venting system.

There is some kind of sealant in the area marked on the above diagram. This is breaking down and is allowing water through.

I have dug it all out and it's a cream coloured rubbery material thats about 20mm in depth in some places between 2 panels. There's some surface rust that needs treating. I'll then coat that with some epoxy mastic.

I then need to replace the sealant. Does anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaned out the area some more today after removing more of the roof gutter.

Ground out all the rust and treated the surface with Hydrate 80. Epoxy will be next.

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The arrow points to a hole which goes to the interior of the car. If the hole sealing material breaks down, it allows water in which will pool in the spare wheel well or first aid kit storage areas.

·
Registered
1983 W123 200T
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I resealed the area and painted body colour followed by protective wax.

The chrome trim covering the area tapped back on easily with no damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts