Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have reviewed all threads that I can get from "forum search" and have not seen the specification of height of the body (rear) with and without load (300 lbs). There are a number of threads with how to adjust the SLS adjustment lever but it requires crawling under the ramped car with it running (not anxious to do this) and after that you still don't know if it is correct. It seems just a measure from the ground, or middle of the wheel, to the bottom of the fender well could be a good approximation. Is there a spec for this? My vehicle is a 1999 E320 Wagon. Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There is a sticky from 2013 that reported after changing accumulators and adjusting the ride height by MB protocol, the height was 27 3/8" on driver's side and 27 5/8" on passenger side (didn't state how measured but I assume from ground to fender well). Another from the same thread stated the height was 25.5” (from the ground to the lip of the wheel well)after accumulator change and adjustment; he thought that this was a bit low and “causing some camber mis-alignment”. I was just wondering if there is an actual spec with and without load.

·
Registered
33 Posts
TucE320, that's a great question I'd love an answer too your question as well. With no load, my back end looks a bit saggy (disproportionate to front axle). With a full load, or even a small trailer on the hitch, the look doesn't change.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not many people interested in this tread but thought I'd add some additional information and see if others can add their information. My rear wheels from ground to bottom of fender well was 27 3/8 " on both the driver and passenger side with no load. With a 320 lbs. load in rear, this changed to 26 3/8" on both sides. (I placed 8 bags (40 lbs. per bag) of water softener salt from Lowes (returnable) for the rear weight). Interestingly, the car rides better with the weight, more solid with less "bumpy" noise when going over bumps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tuc, I was thinking that but i.wasnt sure if it was in my head. Empty it was smooth, both with so.e weight, it was mercedes smooth over bumps

·
Registered
19 Posts
27 1/4 inches with new accumulators and shocks

I replaced the rear shocks and accumulators on my 1998 E320 Wagon, rear wheel drive. The distance from the garage floor to the top of the fender well is now 27 1/4 inches for both sides of my car. When I put a carpenter's level on the cargo area floor it measured dead level front to back and side to side.

Next I added 800 pounds of books evenly distributed on the rear bench seat, the cargo area and in the front passenger seat. The fender measurement dropped to 26 3/4 inches on both sides. The carpenters level showed side to side was level but the car sloped down slightly in the back.

I sell books for a living and routinely load the wagon with 600 to 1,000 pounds of books. The car requires more gas to climb the Montana mountain passes and handles a little sluggishly when fully loaded. The ride is still smooth though.

I have found that with just 200 to 400 pounds of books the car handles and rides best of all.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect. Thanks for the data. So far it looks like the average (n=3 and n=2, respectively) is unloaded 27.38" and loaded 26.56". Three people have commented that the car rides best with a few hundred pound load. Thanks for your input and good luck with the wagon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts