Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
300D, TD, 240D, 230
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled all the hydropneumatic crap off my wagon and put Bilsteins on. Anyone have any tips for eliminating the pump on the motor? Just have a plate machined to fit?

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
1,041 Posts
twohundredm - 4/9/2005 1:19 AM

I pulled all the hydropneumatic crap off my wagon and put Bilsteins on. Anyone have any tips for eliminating the pump on the motor? Just have a plate machined to fit?
hydropneumatic crap ??? Most of believe that the original SLS is quite superior in virtually everyway to elimination/conversion to a standard shock system.
What caused you to change the system? I think you'll find that just installing the Bilsteins will not work as you planned. Let us know.

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
I believe before I replaced it I would try to find someone parting out a car that might have some useable parts.

I will also agree that the parts are way more expensive then they should be. Hydraulic parts are pricy anyway, but the MB hydraulic stuff is WAY overpriced in my opinion. I added hydraulics to my tractor that didn't come with a hydraulic system and the whole thing cost less than the MB pump. But, the MB system is generally pretty reliable if maintained properly. As a testiment to this, the 300TD I bought had been driven around with no hydraulic oil in it for over a year because of a leak. This would trash most pumps, but after fixing the leak and putting fresh oil in it, the thing started working and has been fine ever since (aside from the suction hose I had to replace this weekend).

If there was a good market for it, which there isn't, I'd consider coming up with a retrofit kit featuring more inexpensive parts, but it would probably be more of a hassle to install than it would be worth.

·
Registered
300D, TD, 240D, 230
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Euro 300D has NO hydraulic rear suspension; not sure about the Euro 300TD's. For those of you who like it on the wagons, keep it! I've already done the conversion, and the car does o.k. I just used the sedan springs. Now, is there anyone who can actually help me out on this one? Please, NO MORE replies about how great this expensive, heavy JUNK is! THANK YOU!

·
Registered
450, 350 & 280 SLC (W107), 280TE (W123), C36 AMG (W202), Brabus B6S (W210)
107 Posts
All wagons have rear hydraulic suspension.

G

·
0 Posts
twohundredm - 4/12/2005 7:00 PM

My Euro 300D has NO hydraulic rear suspension; not sure about the Euro 300TD's. For those of you who like it on the wagons, keep it! I've already done the conversion, and the car does o.k. I just used the sedan springs. Now, is there anyone who can actually help me out on this one? Please, NO MORE replies about how great this expensive, heavy JUNK is! THANK YOU!
Go here and read the ATTENTION
paragraph.

http://skinnerbox.steaky.org/Service/W123/w123CD2/Program/Chassis/32-630.pdf

Louis.

·
Registered
84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
1,041 Posts
twohundredm - 4/10/2005 11:00 PM

I hope you get the help you need.[:D]

·
Registered
300D, TD, 240D, 230
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Louis,
Not sure what I'm supposed to look at in the "attention" section there. Right now, I've just got the hydraulic system "looped"; I took a piece of rubber hose and connected the pressure line to the return line by the rear axle. I want to use these lines for my veggie-oil fuel lines, so that's, mainly, why I'm asking about removing the pump. I know Strutmasters makes a kit that replaces the hydropneumatic system, but i haven't taken the time to call them and find out what they do about the pump.

Jay.

·
Registered
W123, W116 Wagon
60 Posts
How can I know if my problem is with the accumulator, control valve or air in-the-line?

My 230TE is bouncing!!

In Malaysia, we do not have many mechanics that know how to manage/trouble shoot the SLS. Therefore, it is going to be changing everything. The cost is VERY high!

I am thinking of taking out the SLS and putting Saloon Spring and Shocks. However, I heard from a guy that he regreted putting saloon shocks(it still bounce). I am not sure if he changed the spring.

I would like to hear if there is success in putting Saloon Shocks and Spring to replace the SLS.

Thanks for all commments and help.

NPK
MALAYSIA

·
Registered
1999 G500, 1995 E300D, 1983 240TD, lots of motorbikes
104 Posts
Well, let's keep this thread going . Who has pictures/part numbers for a rear coil-over conversion? How do you troubleshoot the rear suspension without going to the stealership? Are the accumulators the weak link or the hydraulic strut/shock assemblies or the pumps. or ...?

·
Registered
1987 300TD
33 Posts
I'll help keep this thread going:

My 87 300TD wagon (W124) rides really high in the back when not loaded down. I havent inspected to try to figure it out yet . Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? Sounds like the rest of you have problems keeping the suspension up, whereas mine won't go down (please don't read in to that...)

from what I have read so far it sounds like I need to check for a broken control linkage to see if manually manipulating the linkage will cause the back end to drop down. any other ideas?

TIA
911targaSC

kalena. said:
Well, let's keep this thread going . Who has pictures/part numbers for a rear coil-over conversion? How do you troubleshoot the rear suspension without going to the stealership? Are the accumulators the weak link or the hydraulic strut/shock assemblies or the pumps. or ...?

·
Registered
1980 280te 1979 Rabbit D 1969 Triumph T100C
1,406 Posts
Sounds like the linkage could solve your problem Targa, but i think everyone else is dealing with a failing system. Does your 124 drop when you shut the car off or is it always riding high?

·
Registered
1987 300TD
33 Posts
The car seems to ride high in the back at all times. no noticeable drop or raise when I turn the car on or off. When it was last in at the stealership the mechanic said "probably some stuck valves, just bring it back in when you want us to take a look". well... I'd rather figure out how to do it myself if at all possible.

you think its a linkage then, not a valve?

oh, another possibly correlated symptom I noticed was some fluid leaking out of the top of the reservoir. does that raise any flags? I cleaned offthe reservoir and have yet to check and see if more fluid had appeared. it could have just been spilled on their last time it was filled up. I just bought the car in March.

bboybaroo said:
Sounds like the linkage could solve your problem Targa, but i think everyone else is dealing with a failing system. Does your 124 drop when you shut the car off or is it always riding high?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts