Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I salvaged a rear panel door latch assembly from a Euro wagon recently and noticed a slightly different part number and slightly different functionality. It is as if there is a "child latch" mechanism for the rear panel door that makes it such that you CAN'T open the door from the inside. Is that true on Non-US wagons?

thanks
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Don't know, but could it be a difference between 3rd row seat and non 3rd row seat equipped wagons?

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know, but could it be a difference between 3rd row seat and non 3rd row seat equipped wagons?
No, it's not that. There are two part numbers for US wagons and the first is up to chassis number <x> and the second number is from chassis <x> and beyond. We need someone with a euro wagon to chime in and tell us if there is a child-lock on the rear panel door of a euro wagon...

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I have not seen a US version with child locks. It may very well be for Euro only models.

This function is negated by the central locking mechanism.

Now, not sure if Euro models w/ central locking had child lock as an additional option

·
Registered
'84 SEC EuroCoupe, '85 200T EuroWagon, 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
3,171 Posts
I'll take a look in the spring when it thaws out.;):rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not seen a US version with child locks. It may very well be for Euro only models. This function is negated by the central locking mechanism. Now, not sure if Euro models w/ central locking had child lock as an additional option
The central locks don't negate the untility of child locks - you can still open the doors and unlock them even if the central locks are locked, unless the spring-gizmo-rod that goes between the door lock bottom and the actuator has a broken spring-gizmo. None of the 4 or 5 US wagon panel door latch assemblies have had this "feature", and I'm not even sure if it _is_ a feature... Everything else about the assembly behaves as expected. Unless you have the little cam turned one way, then the interior handle doesn't open the door... Someone must have a Euro wagon that isn't covered with snow out there....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The central locks don't negate the untility of child locks - you can still open the doors and unlock them even if the central locks are locked, unless the spring-gizmo-rod that goes between the door lock bottom and the actuator has a broken spring-gizmo. QUOTE]

I've never tested this on my wagon hatch, but am fairly certain that the rear doors won't open when the central locking system is in the "interlocked" position. IIRC, they can be locked manually but not unlocked...

Regardless, try sending a pm to ducatipaso or dr. no. They have euro wagons and are in warmer climes.

Another thought, might the latch mechanism be from a car with manual locks? But that still means that it'd be a euro car...

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this should answer your question accurately
Yes, that at least 90% answers my question. When I look at my 85 US wagon, I see openings for the child switch, but they seem vacant. (on both the back doors and the rear panel door). Is it safe to assume that on a euro car there is a little tab or switch visible in the opening that can be moved?

If this is the case, I'm assuming that my wagon latch assembly can be used on US or Euro wagons, but that if used on a US wagon, the toggle needs to be in the not-child-proof position when installed or the rear passengers will never be able to open the door from the inside....

thanks
Scott

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a related note, does this mean that US cars don't have child-locks and european cars do, and that we can add them to our sedan rear doors by switching the internal latch assembly? (since the holes are pre-cut)... Not sure I want this, but it's an interesting idea...

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*&^%@*^&@%# piece of potmetal crap
now I have a broken euro latch sitting next to a US latch on the bench not by choice

I'll post comparison pictures soon
I hope this is not as a result of trying to take comparison pics... There are two US versions which to me seem interchangable. Early and Late. There is only ONE euro version. I went back to the Euro wagon at the junkyard and now I see that the latch assembly is complete and needs nothing to toggle the switch -- the cam on the assembly is placed such that the switch thing is exposed inside the existing slot on all (US and Euro) wagons. The difference I _think_ I noticed which maybe you can confirm is the electrical plug on the assembly for the interior light switch. It looked slightly different than on my US assembly.

I'm thinking that the Euro one can be used on US cars with no modification but I have done nothing to verify that. They can be quite persnikity to get out of the liftgate, particularly on US cars that have these giant licence plate retaining plugs intruding into that area...

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*&^%@*^&@%# piece of potmetal crap
now I have a broken euro latch sitting next to a US latch on the bench not by choice
In my endless junkyard hunting for parts I have acquired probably 6 good tailgate latches over the last 2 years. ONE of them had been broken and had been braized (?) together quite effectively. I have never heard of anyone repairing potmetal like this before but it was quite strong.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
I hope this is not as a result of trying to take comparison pics...
nah, I had the hatch apart replacing one of the trims. I was putting it all back together, put the screwdriver on the screw that holds the trim plate behind the latch and it just fell off in my hand. I was devastated. This was to be the last time I'd have to work on this damn hatch before I sell the car. Now I have it all tore apart again and have to either wait and source a proper euro latch or just suck it up and put the good usa version in my car.

:mad:

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You've got PM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts