Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I think the headliner has to come off so you can see how they're fastened to the roof.

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,971 Posts
Yup, Karugs is right about that.. A bit of a finicky job.. Unless you are going to reupholster the ceiling liner...There was a pic of a wagon with bullet holes without the roof rails...

I have tried removing the liner on a 280e. Gotta get the windshield rubbers out too.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Just another interesting little wagon fact I learned the other day. The chrome crossbars that connect the roof rails are different on the 85 wagons. The earlier crossbars would cause a wind buffetting sound; the 85's had 5 rubber rings around them to minimize the noise. Just another useless piece of trivia :) BTW, anybody got an extra set for sell???

Jamie

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...what I was thinking.

I don't want to remove them permanently, I just want them off for the respray. I wonder if I can sneak in there from strategic places and not remove the liner? Can anyone validate what kind of fasteners they are? If they're nuts/bolts I can slip a thin wrench in there, but if they're slotted screws, well, I'm screwed I guess.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The EPC shows them to be hex head bolts. But they may be torx or allen head, also, like the rear hatch struts. Definitely not screws, though. I thought about removing them the last time I buffed the paint out, and I *think* they could be gotten to if you carefully drop the edge of the headliner down. Too much trouble for just a buff job, but definitely do it for paint. The rear ones would be hardest to get to, since the headliner is tucked into the glass weatherstrips. Are you removing the 1/4 glasses for the repaint?

Jamie

·
Registered
1980 280te 1979 Rabbit D 1969 Triumph T100C
1,406 Posts
I was considering pulling the rails from the 230te @ colombia but didnt have the tools with me as they were very small allen heads. Interesting fact JamieK, i have the 85 cross bars and didnt know it. I prefer the look of the bars without the rubber pieces but didnt want to remove them because they were original.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, after some heavy duty surfing, I finally found my answer on another benz forum:

remove the entire head liner... remove the complete sunroof assembly
ugh. all that because the center tower's mount point is not accessible due to the sunroof. front and rear can be removed headliner in. do i do it?does anyone know how much glue is used to hold our headliners in?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts