1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, wanted to offer a warning on eBay listing # 110115487632
with a listing title 1993 Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series E320 TE

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series (item 110115487632 end time Apr-22-07 19:16:08 PDT)

Seller claims this is a 1 owner car that only has 82k original miles. I was very interested and pulled a carfax that shows car had 158k on it in 2002 and has accident history.
Also spoke to MB North America and they show similiar pattern of warranty repair and this car having 76k on it in 1997.
Car also appears to have multiple owners and at one time was sold at auction and lien placed on car in 2001.

If you are considering this car and want to see what the REAL story is, let me know and I will send you a copy of the Carfax report.

I have spoken to the seller and advised him on Tuesday that he was misrepresenting car as having 1 owner and 82k original miles.
Seller has not updated this info in the auction and since I advised him, price has climbed from $3k to $4500.

Just dont wat to see someone get burned and way overpay for a car they think has 82k on it when it really has around 200k.

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C280, 2000 Mercedes E320 4-Matic
373 Posts
Dang bro good looking out we all gotta keep on these sellers on ebay trying to rip us all a new one! :)

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Nice work!! Is it worth notifying ebay? (I'm not sure what, if any protocol there is for this, but this seller shouldn't just be able to "get away with it" and hose an honest buyer). Then again, any buyer should do their own homework like you did and check Carfax.

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ElRojo, I did. I sent eBay the Carfax report advising seller was misrepresenting item at auction and I requested they either cancel the auction completely or at a minimum make seller disclose true mileage and accident history to any potential bidders. They answered with a canned response that "since they could not verify firsthand this information they could not take action". Not sure how that is since I sent them the damn report showing the car had 158k on it 5 years ago!

Oh well I tried, I just hate to see someone get burned who does not pull a Carfax report.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wrote him also trying to shame him into disclosure. At a minimum we caould all do the same...also, as SOON as it closes you may be able to contact the winner and tip him off!

·
Registered
2003 E500 Sport
144 Posts
mfagus said:
Guys, wanted to offer a warning on eBay listing # 110115487632
with a listing title 1993 Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series E320 TE

eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series (item 110115487632 end time Apr-22-07 19:16:08 PDT)

Seller claims this is a 1 owner car that only has 82k original miles. I was very interested and pulled a carfax that shows car had 158k on it in 2002 and has accident history.
Also spoke to MB North America and they show similiar pattern of warranty repair and this car having 76k on it in 1997.
Car also appears to have multiple owners and at one time was sold at auction and lien placed on car in 2001.

If you are considering this car and want to see what the REAL story is, let me know and I will send you a copy of the Carfax report.

I have spoken to the seller and advised him on Tuesday that he was misrepresenting car as having 1 owner and 82k original miles.
Seller has not updated this info in the auction and since I advised him, price has climbed from $3k to $4500.

Just dont wat to see someone get burned and way overpay for a car they think has 82k on it when it really has around 200k.
Good job catching this! From past history with Ebay, I think you click "ask seller a question", it will post the question and the seller's response on the listing. You might want to try asking him about the discrepancies in this, and see if posts to his listing. That way everyone viewing it will be able to see it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They have the option of having the question and answer shown. Also dealing with Ebay will not do any good. I have had many problems with Ebay and all resorting to me not getting what I paid for. You should actually be able to contact the seller by clicking on the bid history in the auction.

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
Well, bidding ended at $4,850, reserve not met. So unless this seller offers a "second chance," we'll probably be seeing it again. It doesn't strike me as likely that the seller is "listening" to any of his questions/emails, and it also seems as though nobody could contact the final bidder easily either. So what can be done, other than what's already been tried?

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure what more we can do.
Auction was not supposed to end til Sunday so seller stopped auction because he sold locally or maybe he knew he was sailing right into a shit storm with the pressure he was feeling.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
I happen to live very close to this seller. There is a lot of questionable car sellers here in Florida. On one occassion I drove down to Ft Lauderdale to check out a '98 BMW 750 iL that was on eBay, advertised as a "flawless" car. The pictures looked great, the buy in now price was like $ 21k, so I was hooked. When I saw the car and checked it over carefully, it turned out to be far less than flawless. The seller did not mention that 3 out 4 alloy wheels were severely damaged by rubbing against curbs. Not just scratched - gouged. The front window rubber trim was cracked in many places. The driver's door inner panel had a significant tear on the upper part. The kidney shaped front grill was damaged in several places and completely loose. There was a pool of oil under the car and I was told that this was because they just replaced the alternator on it. I did not realize that you dump the engine oil when you remove the alternator. :rolleyes:
The front fender had a quarter size burned spot in the paint, as if somebody spilled acid or brake fluid on the fender.

Somebody bought that car and several weeks later I saw a negative feedback left for the seller. The buyer complained that the brakes were completely shot in the car and that it cost him almost $ 2k to get them fixed.

So much for a "flawless" car on eBay. Be careful and if you are serious about a car on eBay, spend a couple hundred bucks and buy a plane ticket and check out the car in person. That's my advice.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,354 Posts
Excellent effort Gentlemen.
The one good thing to be said about this seller is: "Thank God that lack of character is not contagious."

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
WHAT A SCUMBAG!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am still looking for a 300TE wagon and I was searching Auto Trader and was SHOCKED to see that this car now has 70k on the odometer (when it had 82k listed in the eBay auction) two weeks when I started this thread.
Here is a link to the Auto Trader posting:
Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

The link the eBay aution is below if want to compare.
eBay Motors: Mercedes-Benz : 300-Series (item 110115487632 end time Apr-19-07 13:48:41 PDT)

Since the sellers phone number is listed in both, maybe we can bombard him with calls and questions about this discrepancy. We put enough pressure on him to cancel the eBay auction, maybe we can do something here too!!

If I lived in Florida, I would bring this to the attention of the DMV.

Sellers name is John and his # is 772 285-9896

Some ppl should just curl up and die!

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Just to be clear, I dont know this guy, never met him and have NO VENDETTA against him, just dont want to see someone get screwed!

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the email I just sent to the seller:

Man, it takes ALOT of balls to do what you are doing.

BULLSHIT you dont know about the discrepancy on the odometer.
I would love to hear your explanation how this exact car is now being sold on AUTO TRADER by you with 12,000 less miles than it had on it 2 weeks ago at the time of the auction listing.
Now miraculously, it has 70,000 miles on it when it had 82,000 2 weeks ago.

Let me put my boots on and roll up my pant legs in preparation for your reply.

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3
407 Posts
Dude, I like the reply! I wonder if the DMV down there in Florida would listen to people about it from different states.

·
Registered
1995 C220 102k
588 Posts
i think he shut it down due to the pressure...

·
Registered
89 SL RENNtech / 89 AMG 560 SEC
241 Posts
Odometer Issue

Florida, as in most states, states there is not a crime committed until the fraud has occurrred (sale)

and the seller was aware of said issue prior to sale

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.