Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 300te. I have a set of amg monoblock aero II 18x8 and 18x9 to put on it. I was looking at h&r springs and i want to keep the sls. Do any of you guys have any pics of how low i can get it and still have the sls? Also i need to know what size tires i can run.
This might be someones car on here..I would love to know what the suspension setup is, perch size, springs, wheels, tires, etc

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is no limit to how low the SLS can go. But you are going to have a lot of problems with a 9" rim on standard fenders. H&Rs will drop it to the height you see above, but you will have to replace the rear spring pads to a 1 bump to get it that low on the back. The front will get that low on old 3 bumps that are already on the car. You will have to adjust the SLS lever rod after the drop or the SLS will still try to pump it back up to stock height.

·
Registered
1999 W140 CL500
398 Posts
I have a 91 300te. I have a set of amg monoblock aero II 18x8 and 18x9 to put on it. I was looking at h&r springs and i want to keep the sls. Do any of you guys have any pics of how low i can get it and still have the sls? Also i need to know what size tires i can run.
This might be someones car on here..I would love to know what the suspension setup is, perch size, springs, wheels, tires, etc
It was mine sir.

There is no limit to how low the SLS can go. But you are going to have a lot of problems with a 9" rim on standard fenders. H&Rs will drop it to the height you see above, but you will have to replace the rear spring pads to a 1 bump to get it that low on the back. The front will get that low on old 3 bumps that are already on the car. You will have to adjust the SLS lever rod after the drop or the SLS will still try to pump it back up to stock height.
This is correct. That's what I had on my car. But never had a problem with 19's though. I had 19x10 rear and 19x8.5 front with H&R springs with dot 1 rubber shims.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
It was mine sir.

This is correct. That's what I had on my car. But never had a problem with 19's though. I had 19x10 rear and 19x8.5 front with H&R springs with dot 1 rubber shims.
What shocks were you running? Also, did you have any issues carrying a lot of people in the car?

·
Registered
1999 W140 CL500
398 Posts
What shocks were you running? Also, did you have any issues carrying a lot of people in the car?
I'm just using a stock shocks and I already had 7 passengers in my car including me and never had a problem. I kinda regret selling the car but o well.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,447 Posts
Was that the standard H&R lowering springs or were they wagon-specific?

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 560SL, 1989 Euro Mercedes 300SL, Volvo C70, 2004 Discovery, 1997 Mercedes SL500
326 Posts
I had a chance to check my new wagon and it has H&R springs. I also have the 18 inch rims with no issues at all but i must admit, the ride is i little harsh :( . . but nothing i can't live without.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
They do make wagon specific H&Rs, thats what I have.

Nice work, Obetski, looks like quite a loss for us when you left the 124 scene. :)

·
Registered
1973 W107 350SL, 1985 W123 280TE, 1983 W123 230E, 1996 W202 C280
457 Posts
What I did with my 95 320te.

Running 18 x 8.5" 35ET, Brabus S600 wheels.

225/25/18" tyres .

45mm drop with custom made springs.

Ditched the bump pads and had some p.v.c composite discs made as replacement.

Removed the SLS system for a much shorter rear shock. (It was so easy I cant understand while people think its a science)

Replaced the fronts with sport Monroe's .

Sits at the back with about 20mm of the Tyre in the guard and at the front about 5mm.

Drives better then a lowered s.l.s car , e.g my 560sel

Does hit the front just at high speeds hitting massive pot holes.

The 9" rears are going to restrict how low u can go there.

Have been driving this set up for over 6 months with no issues what so ever.

Regards,
Reuben .S

P.s Ill put some pics up in the morning.

Quick edit , the estates have a shorter rear spring and shock as the boot floor is lower, sedan springs going into a wagon wont give u a level drop.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Sedan
395 Posts
Removed the SLS system for a much shorter rear shock. (It was so easy I cant understand while people think its a science)
Make sure to give some detail on this when you come back with the pics i.e. what make/model of shock you used etc. There are always questions around this, would be good to get an answer on something that apparently works easily!

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
+1 on details/pics of the sls delete. I have seen this discussed quite often but no reports of success......

Im going to lower my TE soon. My plan is to grab some springs from a TD or D and cut a coil. My thought is that the TD would have a higher spring rate. I'm going to check part #'s on EPC......

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hey guys.

well this is how I did it.

Used the front shocks out of a bu 60 series Toyota dyna ( brand new they were $ 120 nzd the pair. These have the same dia bottom hole. obviously only one bottom mounting hole unlike the sls struts 2, same dia top pin, and a super skinny bottom mount loop for clearing the iner channel base of the arm, Ill get part numbers up for the strut soon.

Used the outer factory bottom mounting hole in the lower arm, packed with 10mm washers on both sides to equate for the different bottom mount width, using the factory bolt and nut, this bits a lil fiddly.

Moved the sway bar links to the rear exterior of the arms, packed out with a longer 8mm bolt and a piece of stainless tube slightly angled at one end to keep the sway bar mounts straight and a suitable washer on the back end to keep the bush captive.

Safety lock nuts on everything !

There's a p.d.f on my work machine that sent me in the right direction ill add that + some detail shots tomorrow.

Here's an exterior pic, shes very dirty as Ive just been away and it hasn't stooped raining long enough for me to clean her.

Reuben.

Attachments

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
Just recently got my sls fixed up. Needed a pump, pressure line under hood, accumulators, actuator link, cleaned reservoir, flushed system, and a ride height adjustment. So I'm not changing anything!

But-- I'd really like to see some pics of what you did.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Fair enough! I do love a good s.l.s. I had done the accumulators and rams on this car about 3 months before I went fixed. I have a small business here called STARPART pulling down earlier mercs ( w124 and bellow ) and flogging the parts.

I wanted to see mainly how difficult it was in real world terms to ditch the sls, I have done 4 conversions since.

The shocks Ive used are only suitable for a wagon with a drop as they are very short and being so allow more travel of the piston then factory.

Ive still got to pull the accumulators out so weather permitting ill do that and take some pics over the weekend.

Reuben

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sure can, Ill dig up the invoice and scan it in. Wont be untill Tuesday as I am away for our "Queens Birthday" long weekend.

They ride hard but not like rock. I personally think its a nice improvement.

Whats the E36 like?

Reuben

1 - 20 of 21 Posts