Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a rough year for my wife. Her '04 C-class wagon got wiped out in January (I feel that car saved her major injury). Now this week she is sitting at an intersection waiting to turn and the replacement '02 wagon gets rear ended by an old lady in a Buick. :crybaby2: Kids in the car this time. No one was hurt on both sides.
Not sure what the lady was lookng at, but my wife was fully stopped and foot on the brake when she hit from behind and seemed to go under the back bumper.
At first glance, not a big deal, but as soon as I opened the hatch, I knew this was major $$ now.
Rear bumper
IMG_0078_1.jpg
You can see where the Buick went under the wagon and pushed up
IMG_0081_1.jpg

Now this is where I knew this is bad. 3rd row seat does not close all the way now
IMG_0085_1.jpg

You can see a scratch mark where the latch is rubbing on the chrome bezel
IMG_0087_1.jpg

Have to deal with the ladys insurance now, but I want this thing fixed right. I do not want the to just pull out the rear crossmember, I want it changed. I do have kids that ride in the back and want the structure secure, not weakend by being pulled back out.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,732 Posts
I dealt with several similar damages and few points to consider.
1. There is no way to restore the bottom panels to original shape unless you cut whole end off and get a new one.
2. All shops and insurance companies usually fix the exterior panels, make the door locking somehow and let the car go.
3. The trunk bottom panels messed up don't play significant role in car usage, unless the damage extended to the suspension, but it might be a headache later on when the corrosion clicks in.
4. A car with such repair will be worth at least 30% less than the one without the repair, so good luck on dealing with insurance company about getting reimburse for that.

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
From the picture it looks like it should be no problem pulling that back into shape. The last think you want is to have damage where they have to replace panels and all the sealed welds.

I'm surprised the bumper cover looks as good as it does - did it crack?

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bumper cover did not crack, just some deep gouges. It was like she hit the wagon and ran under the bumper. I think this is why it pushed the rear crossmember up and in. If it would have been straight on the bumper, then the regular energy absorbing stuff in the bumper would have worked.
I would rather not have a straighted rear crossmember. It is already fatigued and if I get another whack in the same spot, would bend even easier. With the 3rd row there and possibly kids sitting there, I dont want to take chances.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Sorry to learn of your misfortune my friend and glad no one was injured. I'm with you about getting it fixed right but trust me, the lady's insurance will most likely try to cheap out on you. If they do it might be time for your wife to develop a case of whiplash. To them it's just a numbers game.

Went through this recently on my nearly perfect Camry. A careless neighbor answered a phone call (not hands free) and backed right into the driver's door mashing it in. His insurance only agreed to pay to mash it back out like their "preferred" body shop wrote the estimate. Without mentioning that quote I took it to 2 other places that said it needed a whole new door skin. Long story short I went out of pocket for $400.

Lastly Kajtek1's point #4 begs for elaboration. If your car is worth 30% less now who takes it on the chin for that? It's just not fair. Mine is so old that it tops out on the edmunds of the world at $3500 but yours is obviously worth a bit more than mine.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
88 560SL - 01 C240 - 02 W210 4matic Wagon - W212 4matic wagon
1,090 Posts
I can not remember the exact construction -- but my recolection is of a confluence of sheet metal -- I do not remember an internal beam. The main structure is on the sides.

Even in an MB the rear area is not the safest place for kids - although they like it:)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,732 Posts
Even in an MB the rear area is not the safest place for kids - although they like it:)
Not the safest for sure, but relatively safe. I subscribed to a topic when another member had his wagon really hit from behind. The picture shows that the passenger compartments are mostly still in shape. Even if the rear passenger might have foot injury, the chances for survival are pretty high. How many seats in other cars guarantee survival of occupants when hit at 60 mph?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1278974-my-wagons-gone-check-out-hit.html

·
Registered
'02 E320 4matic Wagon
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am preparing for the tough fight. I want this car to be repaired correctly and am prepared to force them to take it to a MB approved facility to ensure all repairs are done to OEM spec. The car still has some value, since I only have 77K miles. I figure this being a $3-4K repair.

And yes, I know the 3rd row seat is not as safe as the 2nd, but when I look at many SUVs these days with 3rd rows, there is not much structure behind those. I trust the 210 way more then just about anything else on the road or I would not put my kids in those seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts