Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the head gasket is definitely knackered in my 113 Vito, I thought it was using a bit of water, then the oil turned into caramel. After a week and a half of struggling to get the head off with sheared torx bolts and trying to get certain tools locally (small country town with crap tool merchants) and that stinking timing chain shield retainer, it is finally off. I have since found the manifold cracked and a couple of other things to fix, and here I was thinking I was going to have to replace the injector seals when I drove it the other week. Still thinking maybe I should have pulled the engine out, that water pump was a mongrel to get out...

·
Registered
2000 Vito 113 , 2002 v230
127 Posts
well well

I have a 113 with a blown head gasket as well. The water pump is fairly easy I thought, how the hang did you get the exhaust manifold off? I can't even get my hand behind the engine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 113 with a blown head gasket as well. The water pump is fairly easy I thought, how the hang did you get the exhaust manifold off? I can't even get my hand behind the engine

You have to pull the head off with the manifold fitted, not much access behind and too many nuts too undo. The water pump needs to come off at an angle going by what I had to do and as the book says.

Injector seals require replacing as they have pretty much fallen apart and 1 and 2 cylinders have been leaking fuel down the front of the block, they are loose in the housing and the injector port in the head is filthy where crap has gotten past the seals - hence the replacement and I am sick of the smell of petrol when the engine is running literally..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the head has been rebuilt and skimmed, and the block cleaned up ready to go back together. I have since these pics got the head back on and rocker cover fitted. If I was ever to do this again I would pull the engine and do it all out of the engine bay, this seems to be an engine designed for rear wheel drive not front wheel drive due to access of several vital components being incredibly painful and frustrating. Whilst working on it late at night I was contemplating where a Toyota front wheel drive engine would be an easier proposition than this difficult pile of enjoyment

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wasn't much fun at all, many late and frustrating nights and dealing with inept parts dealers really tested me, mind you it saved a small fortune rather than dealing with mercedes australia and paying exporbidant mercedes tax.

It also got lowered and new shocks along the way :)

·
Registered
2000 Vito 110CDI (never should have sold it), Current project 1999 V220 Ambient
379 Posts
The 2 sprockets with the chain on are bolted onto the end of the camshaft.

Take a close look at post number 5 above by crazyjose

·
Registered
2002 vito 13
130 Posts
also, I have taken off the exhaust manifold and had a spy camera down and the valves are opening and shutting both suspicious barrels? would an head gasket give such low readings if the gasket had gone?

petrol vito 113 on gas and petrol

Cylinder 1 = 170
Cylinder 2 = 50
Cylinder 3 = 0
Cylinder 4 = 150

·
Registered
2002 vito 13
130 Posts
Can someone tell me how to loosen off the belt tensioner? Or doea it need loosening take head off? My head( not me real head) is ready come off, bolts cams out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts